Fifteen years ago, after campus, I did what I had been taught to do.
WHY MN COLLECTIVE EXISTS
It was born from my own struggle.
MN Collective is not just an idea, a blog, a personal brand or about one person. It is a cry. It is a calling. It is purpose. It is a dream that refuses to go away a question that keeps getting louder every time I see a problem, receive another CV, hear from a friend or relative looking for a job, or watch talented people struggle to find opportunities.
Perhaps that is why I cannot let it go. MN Collective was born from my own struggles, but I now know the story is bigger than me. It is about helping to create a generation that can identify their gifts, believe in their potential, see problems, recognize opportunities, create solutions, package their value and build something that transforms lives. Because some dreams do not leave you. They keep calling you until you finally build them.
Fifteen years ago, after campus, I did what I had been taught to do.
I looked for a job.
(https://mncollectiveaunfiltered.blogspot.com/2026/06/from-wiping-tables-at-burger-king-to.html?m=1)
That was the formula I knew.
Go to school. Study hard. Graduate. Get a good job. Work hard. Build a career.
But somewhere along the way, something inside me kept asking:
Is this all there is?
So I tried.
I started a small fund to help school-going children get shoes.
I tried an PR and events consultancy and thats how i got my first job.
I tried selling thrift clothes.
I tried selling new clothes from abroad.
I sold perfumes.
I have tried almost everything and anything.
But somehow, I was made to feel that these things were not a real job. That unless I had a recognised title, a monthly salary and somewhere to report every morning, what I was doing did not quite count.
And maybe that is part of the problem.
Maybe if this way of thinking had been nurtured earlier, things would be different.
Maybe if our parents had known better.
Maybe if our schools had taught us that building something was just as valuable as working for something.
Maybe we would be telling a different story today.
I know we would.
But all is not lost.
Because sometimes there is a nudge.
A dream.
An idea that refuses to go away.
You try to ignore it, but it keeps coming back.
You get busy. You take a job. You focus on life. You tell yourself it is not the right time.
But somehow, the dream remains.
And I have come to believe that some dreams do not die because they were never meant to.
Especially when God is involved.
But There Is Another Conversation We Need to Have
Not everyone is called to become an entrepreneur.
Not everyone will start a business.
Not everyone is a builder in the traditional sense.
And that is okay.
But whether you are a builder, an entrepreneur, an employee, a professional or a leader, we all need a builder's mindset.
Especially at work.
I believe employment should also be about nurturing future generations of people who take their work seriously.
Not people who simply get a job, get paid and immediately start looking for the next opportunity.
Not people who do the bare minimum.
Not people who spend all their time gossiping about their employer while millions of people are looking for the very opportunity they have.
Be grateful.
But more importantly, get good at what you do.
Do not just work to tick a checklist.
Genuinely strive to give your employer your best.
Because the work you do matters.
The way you serve matters.
The experience you create matters.
And sometimes, your actions affect far more people than you realise.
Time and time again, I tell my mentees and teams:
I am a marketer. Marketing can open the door. But the rest of the organisation must make the client want to stay.
I can market a hotel.
I can create campaigns.
I can attract clients.
I can get people through the door.
But then what?
The client has to be served.
The deal has to be closed.
The experience has to be memorable.
Because if they have a bad experience, some people will give feedback.
Others will not.
They will simply never come back.
So imagine this.
We marketed well.
The clients came.
But they received bad service and left.
If one client leaves, perhaps that can be excused.
But if two, three, four or more clients complain or never return, then we have a problem.
And it is not another department's problem.
It is our problem.
Because we may have done our marketing well, but if the business loses the client, the business still loses.
And when the business loses, eventually, we all feel it.
I sometimes ask my team members or mentees :
How much is your salary?
You do not have to tell me the exact amount. Give me a figure.
Let's say it is KES 20,000.
Now imagine a meal at the restaurant costs KES 3,000.
If four clients leave and never return because someone did not give them good service, that is KES 12,000 in lost sales.
That is a significant percentage of someone's salary.
And that is only four clients.
Think about what happens when poor service becomes a pattern.
When sales are lost, the business loses.
When the business cannot grow, opportunities become limited.
When opportunities become limited, salaries, promotions, investment and even jobs can be affected.
That is why I say:
Think beyond yourself.
Think like an employer.
Think as though it were your business.
Would you simply tick off the checklist?
Would you do the bare minimum?
Or would you look for ways to make things better?
Would you care about the customer?
Would you care about the numbers?
Would you care about the reputation of the business?
Because whether you own the business or work in it, your work contributes to what that business becomes.
Why MN Collective Exists
MN Collective exists because we believe Africa needs more people who think like builders.
Yes, we want to raise entrepreneurs.
Yes, we want to encourage people to identify problems and build solutions.
Yes, we want to see more businesses created, more jobs generated and more wealth built.
But we also believe that a builder's mindset belongs everywhere.
In the office.
In the classroom.
In the boardroom.
In the hotel.
In the hospital.
In the farm.
In government.
In every organisation.
You may not own the business.
But you can still build within it.
You can build better systems.
Build stronger relationships.
Build better customer experiences.
Build solutions.
Build trust.
Build your skills.
Build your reputation.
Build something that remains better because **you were there**.
That is the heart of MN Collective.
We exist to reduce the number of people waiting for opportunities by increasing the number of people capable of creating them.
And for those who are employed, we want to encourage something just as important:
**Do not just have a job. Build while you work.**
Bring your best.
Learn the business.
Understand the numbers.
Care about the customer.
Get good at your craft.
Think beyond your department.
Think beyond your salary.
Think beyond today.
Because not everyone will start a business.
But everyone can develop a builder's mindset.
And perhaps that is where the change begins.
Go to school.
Get good grades.
Finish your education.
Find a job.
But finding that job was not easy.
And even beyond employment, I had ideas. I could see problems. I could think of possible solutions.
But I did not always have the belief, confidence, support, guidance or ecosystem to help me turn those ideas into something real.
No one had really taught me to ask:
What are my gifts?
What am I naturally capable of?
What problems can I solve?
How can I turn my skills and ideas into value?
How do I package that value?
How do I build something from it?
I had been taught how to prepare for a job.
I had not been taught how to build an opportunity.
And fifteen years later, I find myself asking the same question but now from a different perspective.
Every day, I see people looking for jobs.
People come to my office looking for opportunities.
Friends call asking if I know of a job.
Relatives send CVs asking if I can help.
Someone knows someone who is looking for work.
CV after CV.
Application after application.
And the question I keep asking myself is:
WHERE ARE ALL THESE JOBS?
With millions of people looking for opportunities, can the limited number of available jobs really accommodate everyone?
Can every graduate coming out of school find employment?
Can every friend, relative, neighbour and job seeker find a vacancy?
And if the answer is no, then we must start asking a different question.
Not only:
Where can I find a job?
But also:
What problem can I solve?
What opportunity can I identify?
What value can I create?
What can I build?
That is why my own story became bigger than me.
Because I know I am not the only person who was taught:
Go to school.
Get good grades.
Graduate.
Find a job.
But what happens when thousands and eventually millions of people are all looking for the same limited opportunities?
We cannot continue preparing generations only to seek opportunities.
We must also prepare them to recognize, create and build opportunities.
THAT IS WHY MN COLLECTIVE EXISTS.
MN Collective is here to help create a generation that can:
Identify their gifts and capabilities early.
Believe in their potential.
See problems.
Identify opportunities.
Think of solutions.
Package and position their value.
Master their craft.
Build solutions.
Create transformation.
Because the future cannot depend only on preparing people to fit into the economy.
We must also prepare them to build it.
BELIEVE
Discover your gifts.
Believe in your potential.
Build the mindset, confidence and resilience to move from:
Who will give me an opportunity?
to:
What opportunity can I create?
BRAND
Understand your value.
Master your craft.
Package it. Position it. Communicate it.
Become known not simply for what you do, but for the problems you can solve and the transformation you can create.
BUILD
Look for problems.
Seek solutions.
Turn ideas into action.
Turn skills into value.
Turn value into opportunities, enterprises, systems and eventually jobs for others.
FOR THIS GENERATION. AND THE NEXT.
Imagine a generation of African children growing up with a different question.
Not only:
What do you want to be when you grow up?
But:
What problem do you want to solve?
Imagine young people being taught not only to pass examinations, but to:
Observe.
Question.
Think.
Create.
Build.
Test.
Fail.
Improve.
Communicate.
Solve.
That is the future MN Collective wants to help build.
Because opportunities are everywhere for those who can identify a problem, create a solution and build value around it.
My struggle to find a job fifteen years ago became part of the question that would eventually lead to MN Collective.
And today, as I watch more people come looking for jobs, sending CVs and asking for help finding opportunities, that question and ache has become even louder:
Where are all these jobs going to come from?
Perhaps the answer is not simply creating more job seekers.
Perhaps we also need to create more problem solvers.
More innovators.
More builders.
More people capable of seeing an opportunity where others see a problem.
THAT IS WHY MN COLLECTIVE EXISTS.
We are here to help close the gap between:
Potential and belief.
Gifts and opportunity.
Ideas and execution.
Problems and solutions.
Skills and value.
Education and application.
We exist to reduce the number of people waiting for opportunities by increasing the number of people capable of building them.
MN COLLECTIVE
BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD AFRICA.
Less waiting. More building.
Comments
Post a Comment