From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

My marketing career journey would not be complete without giving credit to the people who opened doors for me and believed in me before I had the experience, title, or credentials to justify their confidence.

At the top of that list is Mr. Mohammed Hersi (MH), a mentor to many, especially within the hospitality industry, and a leader who nurtured countless careers at Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa and across the Sarova Hotels family.

As I reflect on my journey, I am reminded that God truly orders our steps.

In January 2011, I came across a feature article in the Star Newspaper about an event at Sarova Whitesands. Looking back, I know it was more than coincidence. Out of all the articles I had seen, why did that one capture my attention? I believe God was answering prayers and directing my path.

At the time, I was involved in event planning. Inspired by the article, I called Sarova Whitesands to explore the possibility of working together on events. I was connected to Nick Ladu who was then the Entertainment Manager. I explained that I was interested in curating and managing events, particularly weddings.

Nick politely informed me that they already had a fully-fledged entertainment department. However, after hearing me out, he transferred me to the marketing department where I spoke to Dorothy Matheka, who was then the Regional Marketing Manager for the Coast Region, overseeing Sarova Whitesands, Sarova Salt Lick Game Lodge, and Sarova Taita Hills Game Lodge. ( now Taita Hills and Salt Lick Safari Lodges under Pollman)

I repeated the same pitch I had given Nick.

To this day, I do not know exactly what I said that caught Dorothy's attention. Remember, she did not know me. I had simply called the hotel asking for an events contact.

Like Nick, Dorothy explained that they already had a team handling events. Then she surprised me.

She told me she had just been promoted and was moving to Sarova Head Office. They were looking for someone to replace her.

"If you are interested, send me your CV and I will share it with the team."

I was shocked.

I had never worked in marketing as a profession. Apart from a short stint at Burger King, Bahrain as a host, I had no hospitality marketing experience. I wasn't calling as a job seeker; I was calling as someone looking for a consulting opportunity.

I remember asking myself, "Why me?"

What had she seen in a short phone conversation that made her think I could fill such a role?

To cut a long story short, I sent my CV.

Within days, I was called for an interview.

I travelled to Mombasa alone.

What happened next still amazes me to this day.

Dorothy, whom I had never met in person and had only spoken to on the phone, offered to host me in her home.

That single act of generosity changed my life.

Dorothy Matheka has a heart of gold.

To this day, I say that she nurtured me into the marketing and communications professional I became within the hospitality industry. She taught me the ropes. She invested in me. She guided me. Though she later left the industry, her influence remains with me.

Dorothy, thank you.

May God bless you abundantly.

You held my hand when I was finding my way. God used you to introduce me to a proper career and to the hospitality industry.

There was also Joy Morai, my immediate supervisor at the time. She was supportive, patient, and a good boss. I learned a lot under her leadership.

But the man whose signature made it all happen was Mohammed Hersi.

Dorothy never gave me any interview hints. In fact, she did not even tell me she would be part of the interview panel.

On the morning of the interview, she left the house before me. When I arrived at Sarova Whitesands, I walked into the interview room and found Dorothy seated there alongside Joy Morai and Mohammed Hersi, who was then the General Manager overseeing Sarova Whitesands, Sarova Salt Lick, and Sarova Taita Hills.

I cannot remember much about the interview itself.

What I do remember is that I spoke passionately about digital marketing and Facebook. Social media was still relatively new then, and I had immersed myself in understanding its potential.

Looking back, I think that has always been my strength.

Throughout my career, what has set me apart is my ability to identify what makes a brand different and amplify it. I have always focused on doing what others are not doing. I read extensively. I research ahead. I benchmark not only against local competitors but against global brands and global standards.

I like being ahead.

People say preparation meets opportunity.

Long before that interview, while building my events business and pursuing opportunities, God was preparing me for something bigger.

Many candidates who interviewed for that role had years of hospitality experience. Some had already held managerial positions.

Then there was me.

No hospitality marketing experience.

No managerial experience.

Just determination, preparation, knowledge, and the willingness to show up.

Today, I believe many people's breakthroughs are hidden in their preparation and their willingness to show up when opportunity presents itself.

At some point during the interview process, Mohammed Hersi made a statement that has stayed with me for years.

He said I could sell ice cream to an Eskimo.

I cannot remember what exactly prompted that comment, but I have carried those words with me ever since.

Whenever I doubt myself, whenever I feel lost, whenever challenges arise, I remember that statement.

It reminds me that I am capable.

It reminds me that someone saw something special in me before I saw it fully in myself.

It reminds me that I can communicate, persuade, create value, and sell ideas.

That belief has been one of my driving forces alongside purpose, excellence, and the desire to be among the very best in my craft.

The interview process ended successfully.

I became the preferred candidate.

From wiping tables at Burger King to overseeing marketing for three hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

Only God could write such a story.

Today, I am reminded that our journeys rarely unfold according to our plans. Yet when we keep showing up, keep preparing, and keep trusting God, life often unfolds exactly according to His purpose.

Today, I lead Marketing for one of Kenya's top luxury hospitality brands under one of the world's leading international hospitality groups. Top Fortune 100.

When I look back, I see God's hand and the people He strategically placed in my path.

One lesson and mantras Dorothy taught me that remains with me is a quote by Maya Angelou;

" Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Dorothy was one of the best marketers in the Sarova group. Following her example and learning from her helped shape my career. Interestingly, she was younger than me.

That taught me another valuable lesson:

Be humble enough to learn from people who have gone ahead of you, whether they are older or younger than you.

As for Mohammed Hersi, his mentorship extended far beyond giving me a job.

He continued believing in me.

He placed me in board meetings.

He entrusted me with major projects.

He gave me opportunities to present to senior leaders and stakeholders.

My confidence was built under his leadership.

He trusted me with major fundraising events, high-profile functions, and strategic assignments involving influential personalities.

He did not just develop my marketing skills.

He developed my leadership skills.

He developed my confidence.

He developed my capacity.

Because of MH, I learned that if you are mentored well, you eventually become a mentor yourself.

Today, God has blessed me with opportunities to support, guide, and open doors for others in the industry.

I remember MH often saying that he was a brand and that everything we did reflected on that brand.

Nobody was allowed to damage that brand.

He was thorough.

He was firm.

He was disciplined.

He was always ahead.

In June, he would already be discussing plans for the following year.

In May, he would ask for forecasts for August.

He could ask you anything, anywhere, at any time.

The lesson was simple:

Always be prepared.

To this day, I work ahead of deadlines because of those lessons.

He also emphasized that who you are when nobody is watching matters more than what you do for appearances.

Character mattered.

Discipline mattered.

Integrity mattered.

Before he walked into meetings, we would already be seated and prepared.

Punctuality was not negotiable.

Excellence was expected.

Mistakes were not entertained evem a spelling mistake or a comma forgotten.

Attention to detail was mandatory.

Many of those habits remain part of who I am today.

There is another reason I remember MH so fondly.

At one point in my life, I went through a difficult season and made a decision that could have cost me my life.

When I eventually returned to the office, MH did not respond as a boss.

He responded as a father figure.

He scolded me.

He asked me what would have happened if I had died because of such a decision.

At the time, it felt harsh.

Today, I understand it was concern.

It was care.

It was the response of someone who genuinely cared about my future.

That moment showed me that he was more than a boss.

He was a mentor.

He was a leader.

He was someone invested in the people he led.

People often say that as you rise, never forget those who helped you climb.

******

Today, I choose to remember.

I choose to honour.

I choose to give flowers while people can still smell them.

MH, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you for believing in me.

Thank you for trusting me.

Thank you for challenging me.

Thank you for refining me.

Thank you for helping shape the leader I am today.

Your legacy lives on through the many people you mentored, guided, and inspired.

When you left Sarova, I did not just see a boss leaving.

I saw a father figure.

A mentor.

A leader.

A man whose shoulders many of us stood on as we built our careers.

This tribute is my way of saying thank you.

My mother recently reminded me to write this story, and I am glad I finally have. Today, as I sit and reflect, my mum reminded me of the man who gave me my first real opportunity in my marketing career within hospitality — Mr. Mohammed Hersi.

Some debts cannot be repaid with money.

They can only be repaid with gratitude.

And so today, I give you your flowers.

Thank you, MH.

Your legacy lives on.

********

Sarova family, thank you for the immense contribution you have made to Kenya's hospitality industry. For many of us, Sarova has been more than a hotel brand, it has been a school, a training ground, and a place where countless hospitality professionals have been nurtured and prepared for excellence.

Many of the industry's finest leaders, managers, and service professionals proudly trace part of their journey back to Sarova Hotels & Resorts. In many ways, Sarova has been the father and mother of hospitality training in Kenya.

******

"Success is never a solo journey. Behind every great career is a door someone opened, a hand someone extended, and a mentor who chose to believe before the world did." 

 I share my story to the people who opened doors for me, and to inspire others to keep dreaming. Opportunities come to those who prepare. Never lose hope, and always remain grateful to those who have helped you along the way.

In the end, success is never a solo journey, it is built on hands that lifted you when you needed it most.

Stay prepared, stay grateful, and never stop believing because every open door begins with preparation and hope.

MN Collective Qotes.....


******

MNCOLLECTIVE INSIGHTS UNFILTERED 

BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD 


******

Follow MN Collective for more stories on leadership, business, relationships, mental health, and Africa's development

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5