MN Collective is not just an idea, a blog, a personal brand or about one person. It is a cry. It is a calling. It is purpose. It is a dream that refuses to go away.
WHY MN COLLECTIVE EXISTS
It was born from my own struggle.
MN Collective is not just an idea, a blog, a personal brand or about one person.
It is a cry.
It is a calling.
It is purpose.
It is a dream that refuses to go away.
It is a question that keeps getting louder every time I see a problem, receive another CV, hear from a friend or relative looking for a job, or watch talented people struggle to find opportunities.
Perhaps that is why I cannot let it go.
MN Collective was born from my own struggles, but I now know the story is bigger than me.
It is about helping to create a generation that can identify their gifts, believe in their potential, see problems, recognise opportunities, create solutions, package their value and build something that transforms lives.
Because some dreams do not leave you.
They keep calling you until you finally build them.
Fifteen Years Ago, I Did What I Had Been Taught to Do
Fifteen years ago, after campus, I did what I had been taught to do.
Go to school.
Get good grades.
Finish your education.
Graduate.
Find a job. It took five years for me to get a job.
That was the formula.
The path seemed simple enough: get an education, find employment, work hard, grow your career and build your life.
But finding that job was not easy.
And somewhere along the journey, I realised I had more than just a desire to be employed.
I had ideas.
I could see problems.
I could think of possible solutions.
I had an instinct to try things.
So I tried.
I started a small fund to help school-going children get shoes.
I tried an events consultancy.
I tried selling thrift clothes.
I tried selling new clothes from abroad.
I sold perfumes.
I have tried almost everything and anything.
Looking back, I realise that perhaps I was always trying to build. Iam a born thinker and builder.
I just did not have the language for it.
I did not always have the belief, confidence, support, guidance or ecosystem to help me turn those ideas into something sustainable and real.
No one had really taught me to ask:
What are my gifts?
What am I naturally capable of?
What problems can I solve?
How can I turn my skills and ideas into value?
How do I package that value?
How do I build something from it?
I had been taught how to prepare for a job.
I had not been taught how to build an opportunity.
And perhaps that is part of the problem.
Because somehow, many of the things I tried were made to feel like they did not count.
Unless you had a recognised title, a monthly salary and somewhere to report every morning, what you were doing could easily be dismissed as not being a real job.
Its the same challenge that we have to deal with when non builders retire. A story for another day.
Maybe if this way of thinking had been nurtured earlier, things would have been different.
Maybe if our parents had known better.
Maybe if our schools had taught us that building something was just as valuable as working for something.
Maybe we would be telling a different story today.
I believe we would.
But all is not lost.
Because sometimes there is a nudge.
A dream.
An idea that refuses to go away.
You try to ignore it, but it keeps coming back.
You get busy.
You take a job.
Life happens.
You tell yourself it is not the right time.
But somehow, the dream remains.
And I have come to believe that some dreams do not die because they were never meant to.
Especially when God is involved.
Then the Question Became Bigger Than Me
Fifteen plus years later, I find myself asking the same question, but now from a completely different perspective.
Every day, I see people looking for jobs.
People come to my office looking for opportunities.
Friends call asking if I know of a vacancy.
Relatives send CVs asking if I can help.
Someone knows someone who is looking for work.
CV after CV.
Application after application.
And the question keeps coming back:
WHERE ARE ALL THESE JOBS?
With millions of people looking for opportunities, can the limited number of available jobs really accommodate everyone?
Can every graduate coming out of school find employment?
Can every talented young person find a vacancy?
Can every friend, relative, neighbour and job seeker find someone willing and able to employ them?
And if the answer is no, then perhaps we need to start asking different questions.
Not only:
Where can I find a job?
But also:
What problem can I solve?
What opportunity can I identify?
What value can I create?
What can I build?
This is not an argument against employment.
Employment matters.
Careers matter.
Organisations need talented people.
Businesses need exceptional employees.
Countries need highly skilled professionals.
Not everyone is called to start a business.
Not everyone will become an entrepreneur.
And that is okay.
But whether you are an entrepreneur, employee, professional, leader or business owner, I believe we all need one thing:
A BUILDER'S MINDSET.
And that mindset should not begin only when someone decides to start a company.
It should exist in the office.
In the classroom.
In the boardroom.
In the hotel.
In the hospital.
On the farm.
In government.
In every organisation.
Because even if you do not own the business, you can still help build it.
And perhaps one of the greatest shifts we need is to stop thinking of employment as simply:
Get a job. Get paid.
And start asking:
What am I building while I am here?
Employment Should Also Build People
I believe employment should help nurture a future generation of people who take their work seriously.
People who understand that a job is more than a salary.
It is an opportunity to learn.
To master a craft.
To understand how businesses work.
To develop discipline.
To solve problems.
To build relationships.
To understand customers.
To contribute to something bigger than yourself.
This does not mean accepting poor treatment or remaining in an organisation that does not value you.
It means that while you are there, you bring your best.
Do not simply do the bare minimum.
Do not just tick off a checklist.
Do not spend your days complaining about the employer while millions of people are looking for the opportunity you currently have.
Be grateful.
But more importantly:
Get good at what you do.
Master your craft.
Understand the business.
Understand the customer.
Understand how your role contributes to the organisation's success.
Because the work you do matters.
The way you serve matters.
The experience you create matters.
And your actions can affect far more people than you realise.
Time and time again, I tell my mentees and my teams:
I am a marketer. Marketing opens the door. But the rest of the organisation must make the client want to stay.
I can create the campaign.
I can position the brand.
I can tell the story.
I can attract attention.
I can generate interest.
I can bring the client through the door.
But then what?
The client has to be served.
The promise has to be delivered.
The deal has to be closed.
The experience has to be memorable.
Because if the client has a bad experience, some will give feedback.
Others will not.
They will simply never come back.
And that is where we need to understand that organisational success is never one department's responsibility.
Imagine this.
The marketing team does its job.
The campaign works.
The clients come.
But they receive poor service.
They leave disappointed.
They never come back.
If one client leaves, perhaps that can be explained.
But if two, three, four or more clients complain or disappear, then we have a problem.
And it is not another department's problem.
It is our problem.
Because the business is one ecosystem.
Marketing may have done its job well.
But if the business loses the customer, the business still loses.
And when the business loses, eventually, everyone feels it.
I sometimes ask people to think about it this way.
How much is your salary?
You do not have to tell me the exact figure.
Let's say it is KES 20,000.
Now imagine a meal at the restaurant costs KES 3,000.
If four customers leave and never return because someone did not give them good service, that is KES 12,000 in potential revenue lost.
And that is only four customers.
Think about what happens when poor service becomes a pattern.
Think about the customers who do not complain.
Think about the customers who simply decide not to return.
Think about the people they tell.
Think about the revenue that quietly disappears.
When sales are lost, the business loses.
When the business cannot grow, opportunities become limited.
When opportunities become limited, investment, expansion, promotions, salaries and sometimes even jobs can be affected.
That is why I say:
THINK BEYOND YOURSELF.
Think like an employer.
Think like an owner.
Think as though the business were yours.
Would you simply tick off the checklist?
Would you do the bare minimum?
Would you ignore the customer?
Would you say, That is not my department?
Or would you look for ways to make things better?
Would you care about the numbers?
Would you care about the reputation?
Would you care about what happens after the customer walks through the door?
Because whether you own the business or work in it, your work contributes to what that business becomes.
That is a builder's mindset.
We Cannot Continue Preparing People Only to Look for Opportunities
The challenge is bigger than one individual.
For generations, we have largely prepared people to fit into the economy.
Go to school.
Pass your exams.
Graduate.
Find a job.
But what happens when thousands, and eventually millions, of people are all looking for the same limited opportunities?
We cannot continue preparing generations only to seek opportunities.
We must also prepare them to recognise, create and build opportunities.
That does not mean everyone must become an entrepreneur.
It means we must raise people who know how to think.
People who can observe.
Question.
Create.
Experiment.
Fail.
Learn.
Improve.
Communicate.
Solve.
Build.
Imagine asking a child not only:
What do you want to be when you grow up?
But also:
What problem do you want to solve?
Imagine a generation that understands early that their gifts can become value.
That their skills can solve problems.
That their ideas can become solutions.
That their knowledge can be packaged.
That value can be communicated.
That opportunities can be created.
That is the future I believe we need to start building.
Not only a generation waiting for someone to give them an opportunity.
But a generation capable of asking:
What can I do with what I already have?
What problem can I solve?
What can I create?
What can I build?
That Is Why MN Collective Exists
MN Collective exists to help close the gap between potential and belief.
Between gifts and opportunity.
Between ideas and execution.
Between problems and solutions.
Between skills and value.
Between education and application.
We want to help create a generation that can identify their gifts and capabilities early.
A generation that believes in its potential.
A generation that sees problems and recognises opportunities.
A generation that thinks of solutions.
A generation that masters its craft.
A generation that understands how to package, position and communicate its value.
A generation that does not only wait to be included in the economy, but is equipped to contribute to building it.
Because the future cannot depend only on preparing people to fit into the economy.
We must also prepare them to build it.
That is why everything at MN Collective comes back to three words.
BELIEVE.
Discover your gifts.
Believe in your potential.
Build the mindset, confidence and resilience required to move from:
Who will give me an opportunity?
To:
What opportunity can I create?
BRAND.
Understand your value.
Master your craft.
Package it.
Position it.
Communicate it.
Become known not simply for what you do, but for the problems you can solve and the transformation you can create.
BUILD.
Look for problems.
Seek solutions.
Turn ideas into action.
Turn skills into value.
Turn value into opportunities.
Build enterprises.
Build systems.
Build communities.
Build organisations.
And, eventually, create opportunities for others.
But MN Collective is not only for the person who wants to start a business.
It is also for the employee who wants to become exceptional.
The professional who wants to master their craft.
The leader who wants to build a stronger team.
The young person trying to understand their potential.
The entrepreneur trying to turn an idea into a sustainable business.
The organisation that wants people who think beyond job descriptions.
Because wherever you are, you can build.
You can build better systems.
Build stronger relationships.
Build better customer experiences.
Build solutions.
Build trust.
Build your skills.
Build your reputation.
Build something that remains better because you were there.
That, to me, is the heart of MN Collective.
My own struggle to find a job fifteen years ago became part of a question that would eventually become much bigger than me.
And today, every time another CV lands on my desk, another friend calls asking about a vacancy, or another talented person asks where they can find an opportunity, that question becomes louder:
WHERE ARE ALL THESE JOBS GOING TO COME FROM?
Perhaps the answer is not simply creating more job seekers.
Perhaps we also need more problem solvers.
More innovators.
More creators.
More exceptional professionals.
More people who understand value.
More people who take ownership.
More people capable of seeing an opportunity where others see a problem.
More builders.
That is why MN Collective exists.
Not because I have all the answers.
But because I know the questions matter.
And sometimes, the dream that refuses to leave you is not there to make you comfortable.
It is there to make you build.
MN Collective began with my own struggle.
But the vision is much bigger than my story.
It is for this generation.
And the next.
It is for the young person who has a gift but does not yet believe it has value.
The graduate sending out CV after CV.
The employee who needs to understand that excellence is an investment in their own future.
The entrepreneur with an idea but no roadmap.
The professional who has mastered their craft but does not know how to position their value.
The child who should grow up knowing that they are not limited to waiting for someone else to create their future.
We exist to help create more people who can believe.
Who can understand their value.
Who can identify problems.
Who can create solutions.
Who can build.
Because Africa's future cannot be built by people waiting for opportunity alone.
It will also be built by those willing to create it.
We exist to reduce the number of people waiting for opportunities by increasing the number of people capable of building them.
Not everyone will start a business.
But everyone can develop a builder's mindset.
And whether you are building a company, a career, a team, a skill, a reputation, a solution or a better customer experience, the question remains the same:
What will be better because you were here?
That is the question.
That is the responsibility.
That is the mindset.
That is why MN Collective exists.
MN COLLECTIVE
BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD AFRICA.
Less waiting. More building.
https://mncollectiveaunfiltered.blogspot.com/2026/06/from-wiping-tables-at-burger-king-to.html?m=1
Comments
Post a Comment