Kingdom Wealth / Breaking the Cycle of Poverty

BREAK THE CYCLE OF POVERTY


Positioning Ourselves for Kingdom Wealth, Abundance & Generational Impact

MN COLLECTIVE | INSIGHTS UNFILTERED

BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD AFRICA.

There comes a time when you must look at the financial patterns that have followed your family and make a decision:

THE CYCLE MUST END WITH ME.

The cycle of constantly borrowing.

The cycle of living from crisis to crisis.

The cycle of having just enough to survive but never enough to build.

The cycle of great ideas that never become businesses because there is no capital.

The cycle of working hard for decades yet leaving nothing for the next generation.

The cycle of debt consuming tomorrow's income before tomorrow arrives.

The cycle of believing that financial struggle is somehow more spiritual than financial abundance.

There is nothing noble about unnecessary financial bondage.

We should desire to live honourable, productive and generous lives able to take care of our responsibilities, help others, fund worthwhile ideas, create employment, build institutions and leave something meaningful for those coming behind us.

My prayer is simple:

In my lifetime, may I break every destructive pattern of poverty, lack, begging and borrowing.

Not so that I can worship money.

But so that money becomes a tool for purpose rather than a master over my life.


THE BLESSING OF THE LORD

Proverbs 10:22 says:

The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.”  Proverbs 10:22 (KJV)

Notice that Scripture does not say money itself produces peace.

It points us toward the blessing of God.

Money can buy a beautiful house.

It cannot guarantee a peaceful home.

Money can pay for the finest bed.

It cannot guarantee sleep.

Money can give you access to people.

It cannot guarantee genuine relationships.

Money can pay for experiences.

It cannot manufacture purpose.

Money can solve many financial problems.

But there are problems that money was never designed to solve.

That is why pursuing wealth without pursuing wisdom, character and God can leave someone financially rich yet internally bankrupt.

We don't simply want riches. We want the blessing of God upon the resources He entrusts to us.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR HOUSE?

There is a fascinating financial lesson in 

2 Kings 4

A widow approached Elisha in desperation. Her husband had died, creditors were coming, and her sons were at risk of being taken because of the debt.

Elisha asked her:

What hast thou in the house? — 2 Kings 4:2 (KJV)

Her answer was essentially: almost nothing except a pot of oil.

And that little became the starting point.

She gathered vessels. The oil multiplied. Elisha then instructed her to sell it, pay her debt and live on what remained.

What a picture.

Identify what you have.

Obey the instruction.

Multiply it.

Sell it.

Pay the debt.

Live from the increase.

Sometimes we are praying for something completely new while overlooking what God has already placed in our hands.

What skill do you have?

What knowledge?

What experience?

What relationship?

What opportunity?

What idea?

What asset?

What problem can you solve?

What is already in your house?

REFUSE TO NORMALISE FINANCIAL BONDAGE

Debt should never become an identity.

Neither should poverty.

There are circumstances where responsible borrowing can be used strategically, particularly for productive assets and enterprises. But destructive consumer debt, uncontrolled borrowing and living permanently beyond our means can become bondage.

Our aspiration should be financial stewardship and increasing freedom.

Pay what you owe.

Learn how money works.

Increase your earning capacity.

Build emergency reserves.

Acquire productive assets.

Invest wisely.

Create multiple sources of legitimate value.

Live below your means when necessary.

Become disciplined enough to delay gratification.

And above everything:

Stop trying to look wealthy and start building wealth.

Breaking poverty is not accomplished through declarations alone.

It requires wisdom, discipline, knowledge, skills, relationships, work, opportunity, stewardship and God's grace.

GOD DELIGHTS IN THE PROSPERITY OF HIS SERVANT

Psalm 35:27 says:

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.— Psalm 35:27 (KJV)

We should therefore reject the idea that having resources is automatically ungodly.

The question is not simply:

Do you have money?

The deeper questions are:

How did you get it?

What has it done to your heart?

How are you stewarding it?

Who benefits because you have it?

Paul writes in 1 Timothy 6:17

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God… — 1 Timothy 6:17 (KJV)

Notice something important.

Paul doesn't tell wealthy believers merely to stop being wealthy.

He tells them where not to place their trust.

Your bank balance is not your God.

Your investments are not your God.

Your business is not your God.

Your employer is not your God.

Your connections are not your God.

God is the source. Resources are tools.*

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD

David begins Psalm 23 with one of Scripture's most beautiful declarations:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want— Psalm 23:1 (KJV)

That is bigger than money.

It is a declaration of dependence upon God.

Wealth should never move us from:

The Lord is my shepherd

to:

My money is my shepherd.

Because riches can disappear.

Markets change.

Businesses collapse.

Jobs end.

Currencies lose value.

Relationships change.

But our ultimate confidence remains in God.

FOUR DIMENSIONS OF KINGDOM PROSPERITY

A useful framework taught in messages on Kingdom wealth, including teachings associated with Apostle Joshua Selman, is to think about financial outcomes through an interplay of factors rather than expecting money simply to appear because we pray.

Consider four dimensions:

1. LAWS & PRINCIPLES

There are financial principles that have consequences whether you are Christian or not.

Value creation.

Diligence.

Saving.

Investing.

Delayed gratification.

Negotiation.

Financial literacy.

Problem solving.

Excellence.

Understanding markets.

Building systems.

Managing risk.

Ownership.

These principles help explain why people who do not acknowledge God can still become extraordinarily wealthy.

They may understand and consistently apply principles that produce economic value.

2. HUMAN FACTORS

Who are you becoming?

What can you do?

What do you know?

Who knows you?

Can people trust you?

Can you communicate?

Can you sell?

Can you negotiate?

Can you lead?

Can you manage people?

Can you identify opportunities?

Can you execute?

Can you solve expensive problems?

You cannot pray away the responsibility of developing capacity.

God may open a door, but you need the capacity to remain in the room.


3. DIVINE EMPOWERMENT

Deuteronomy 8:18 reminds us:

But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth… Deuteronomy 8:18 (KJV)

God gives abilities.

Ideas.

Creativity.

Strength.

Wisdom.

Opportunities.

Relationships.

Favour.

We should recognise His hand without using spirituality as an excuse for poor preparation.


4. THE HELP OF GOD

There are moments when human intelligence simply isn't enough.

A relationship you could never have engineered.

An opportunity you didn't see coming.

Protection from a disastrous decision.

Wisdom at exactly the right moment.

A door that opens unexpectedly.

The right person remembering your name in a room you were not in.

We work diligently while remaining conscious that we need God.

SERVE GOD—AND BUILD WITH EXCELLENCE

Job 36:11 says:

If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures— Job 36:11 (KJV)

Psalm 103 similarly calls us to remember God's benefits and His compassion, healing, redemption and provision.

But serving God should never be reduced to a financial transaction:

I served, therefore God owes me millions.

Christianity is not a get-rich scheme.

We obey God because He is God.

And as we pursue Him, we should also pursue wisdom, excellence, stewardship and productive work.

Lord, help me to obey You.

Help me to serve You faithfully.

Give me wisdom to steward whatever You place in my hands.

KINGDOM WEALTH VS WEALTH WITHOUT GOD

There is a worldly approach to wealth that says:

Get it at any cost.

Lie if necessary.

Exploit people.

Cheat.

Manipulate.

Destroy competitors.

Sacrifice family.

Compromise integrity.

Make money your identity.

Kingdom wealth asks different questions:

Can I create value without destroying people?

Can I prosper without losing my character?**

Can my employees prosper because my business exists?

Can my wealth solve problems?

Can my resources advance God's purposes?

Can my children inherit wisdom alongside assets?

Because money without wisdom can become destructive.

SOLOMON: DON'T JUST ASK FOR WEALTH ASK FOR WISDOM

Solomon gives us one of Scripture's greatest lessons.

When God invited him to ask, Solomon requested wisdom and understanding to lead.

God was pleased.

And alongside wisdom came extraordinary wealth and honour.

There is a lesson here for builders:

Don't pursue money faster than you pursue the wisdom required to manage it.

Because getting wealth is one challenge.

Keeping it is another.

Multiplying it responsibly is another.

Transferring it successfully is another.

And remaining a good human being while possessing it may be the greatest challenge of all.

WHY CAN A BILLIONAIRE STILL BE MISERABLE?

If money could solve every human problem, then the richest people on earth would automatically be the happiest.

We know that isn't true.

Extreme wealth does not immunise anyone against grief, loneliness, broken families, addiction, betrayal, anxiety, illness, succession problems or lack of meaning.

Satan does not only attack poor people.

Human suffering crosses economic classes.

The poor may face problems that money could substantially alleviate: rent, food, education, healthcare, transport, capital and basic security.

The wealthy may possess enough money to solve those problems and discover another category of problems that another million dollars cannot fix.

Will my children destroy what I built?

Who genuinely loves me?

Who can I trust?

What happens when I die?

What is all this actually for?

That is why generational wealth without generational wisdom is dangerous.

You can spend forty years building an empire that the next generation destroys in five.

So don't only leave your children money.

Leave them wisdom, values, discipline, faith, education, character and an understanding of stewardship.

MONEY CANNOT PURCHASE THE PEACE OF CHRIST

Jesus said:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you… Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.— John 14:27 (KJV)

There is a peace that cannot be purchased.

There is a void money cannot fill.

So yes:

Build wealth.

But build your relationship with God even more.

Pursue financial freedom.

But pursue wisdom.

Build assets.

But build character.

Build businesses.

But build people.

Leave an inheritance.

But leave values capable of protecting the inheritance.

MONEY CREATES OPTIONS

We should also stop pretending money doesn't matter.

Money matters.

Money can educate a child.

Money can fund an idea.

Money can start a company.

Money can employ people.

Money can finance research.

Money can build schools.

Money can fund hospitals.

Money can provide housing.

Money can take a product into another market.

Money can support ministry.

Money can help families during emergencies.

Money can give a brilliant African entrepreneur the capital required to turn an idea into an enterprise employing thousands.

You may have an extraordinary idea capable of changing thousands of lives.

But without capital, skills, relationships and execution capacity, that idea may remain in your notebook.

That is why builders must learn about money, capital and wealth creation.

Not because money is everything.

But because purpose often requires resources.

BREAK THE PATTERN

Perhaps your parents couldn't do it.

Perhaps your grandparents never had the opportunity.

Perhaps everyone before you struggled financially.

Honour their journey.

Learn from it.

But don't assume their ceiling must become yours.

You can learn what they never learned.

Build what they never had an opportunity to build.

Invest where they couldn't invest.

Enter rooms they never entered.

Own assets they never owned.

Build companies they never imagined.

And then create opportunities for people you may never personally meet.

That is generational transformation.

BE SOBER. BE VIGILANT.

1 Peter 5:8 warns:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour — 1 Peter 5:8 (KJV)

Guard your life.

Guard your character.

Guard your decisions.

Guard your relationships.

Guard your finances.

Guard yourself against greed, shortcuts, comparison, lifestyle inflation and financial deception.

As your resources increase, your wisdom must increase too.

DON'T ONLY THINK ABOUT YOURSELF

Perhaps one of the greatest reasons to desire financial capacity is this:

Your life can become bigger than you.

Imagine being able to say:

I can educate someone.

I can employ someone.

I can finance someone's idea.

I can build something my community needs.

I can invest in African businesses.

I can create opportunities for young people.

I can support my parents honourably.

I can give generously.

I can leave my children assets rather than liabilities.

I can fund solutions.

That is a different conversation from:

God, make me rich so I can impress people.

Kingdom prosperity asks:

God, increase my capacity so that my life can become a channel through which value flows.

In my lifetime, destructive cycles of poverty will end.

I will learn.

I will work.

I will build.

I will save.

I will invest.

I will create value.

I will develop my skills.

I will build meaningful relationships.

I will refuse dishonest gain.

I will pursue wisdom.

I will steward resources faithfully.

I will not worship money.

I will serve God.

I will teach the next generation what I learn.

It is my prayer that I and my family will prosper according to God's purposes.

May we have enough to live honourably.

Enough to give generously.

Enough to build courageously.

Enough to create opportunities.

Enough to leave an inheritance of faith, wisdom, character, knowledge and resources.

May we never possess wealth that costs us our souls, our peace, our families or our integrity.

May God's blessing rest upon the work of our hands.

May He give us wisdom to create, discipline to steward, discernment to invest, courage to build and generosity to give.

And when abundance comes, may we always remember:

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD.

Not money.

Not status.

Not connections.

Not possessions.

God.

Because the greatest prosperity is not simply having more.

It is having the wisdom, peace, character and purpose to know what to do with more.

BREAK THE CYCLE.

BUILD THE CAPACITY.

CREATE THE VALUE.

BUILD THE WEALTH.

KEEP GOD AT THE CENTRE.

LIFT OTHERS AS YOU RISE.

MN COLLECTIVE | INSIGHTS UNFILTERED

BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD AFRICA.


Less waiting. More building.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5