Rebuilding
A Letter to My Naive Self
**Rebuilding**
31st July 2026 | 9:27 PM
Dear Naive Me,
Tonight, I say goodbye to my first love.
Those words feel impossible to write.
The boy I fell in love with at eighteen became the man I believed I would spend the rest of my life with. Even when life took us in different directions, a part of my heart never stopped believing our story wasn't over. When we found each other again seven years ago, I thought God had given us another chance. I believed our love story had simply been delayed, not denied.
I was wrong.
Today, I made the hardest decision of my life. I released the man I truly loved.
Not because I stopped loving him.
But because the truth finally demanded that I let him go.
The truth arrived in the most unexpected way.
An accident on Wednesday 28th July 2026 at 10pm after I made a call to him at 9:57pm.
Three days ago, life stood still. In one hospital, I was introduced as I had always been as his wife. That was the identity I carried whenever we were together in public. I believed I was his chosen partner, his future, the woman he intended to build a life with.
Then everything changed.
He was transferred to another hospital where his family had gathered. Quietly and respectfully, his mother asked me to leave because another woman was there. She wanted to avoid conflict and drama.
In that single moment, years of confusion suddenly made sense.
I was always the other woman in his life a constant but not the main. Yoh!
The other woman was not another woman.
She was THE woman. The Wife.
The one who shared his home. His children.
The one his family knew.
The one who stood where I believed I belonged.
I walked away carrying a pain I cannot fully describe.
Not because I had been asked to leave a hospital.
But because I realized I had spent years building my future around a version of reality that never existed.
I wasn't simply grieving a relationship.
I was grieving an illusion.
He wasn't just my partner.
He was my first love.
He was my friend.
He was the father of my son.
He was the person I imagined growing old beside.
I intentionally dismissed any other man who showed interest because I believed loyalty meant staying. I was committed and intentional. I defended him to my family. I defended him to my friends. I defended him even when deep inside my spirit was asking difficult questions and unsettled.
Everyone around me wondered why seven years had passed without marriage. Why are we not living together? I was asked to give ultimatums to lesve him but I stayed.
There must be something wrong.
I answered every concern with confidence. All manner of excuses.
"We're waiting until we're financially stable."
"We're taking our time."
"We'll get there."
" At the right time it will happen. His working on something "
I believed every word.
Today I realize I was defending promises that were never being built.
The signs were always there.
God whispered.
Sometimes through dreams.
Sometimes I saw.
Sometimes through actions.
Sometimes through discernment.
Sometimes through conversations that simply didn't add up.
Sometimes through an unexplainable feeling that something wasn't right.
Whenever I asked questions, I wasn't met with reassurance.
I was met with accusations.
"You are insecure."
"You don't trust me."
"You are overthinking."
" If there is one person you shouldn't be worried about. It's her"
Looking back, I understand why.
Truth does not fear questions.
Lies do.
He was extremely protective of his life, his phone, his movements, and his time. What I once interpreted as privacy, urgent meetings, unavailability, I now recognize as protection not of our relationship, but of his secrets.
One memory keeps replaying in my mind.
There were times he would lie to other people while I was sitting right beside him. I remember asking him, "If you can lie so comfortably to others while I'm here, what makes me believe you don't lie to me when I'm not?"
I ignored the answer because I loved him.
Love without wisdom can become dangerous.
I confused patience with purpose.
I confused waiting with faith.
I confused loyalty with self-sacrifice.
I confused hope with denial.
The greatest lesson I have learned is this:
Love should never require you to abandon the truth.
As painful as today is, I refuse to call these years wasted.
They have taught me discernment.
They have taught me boundaries.
They have taught me that love is not proven by how long you can endure confusion.
Love is proven by truth, consistency, honour, and commitment.
I also know something else.
God is never late.
God is never early.
God is always on time.
The same God who allowed this painful truth to be revealed is the same God who will heal every wound it has left behind.
Perhaps He answered a prayer I had been praying for years not in the way I wanted, but in the way I needed.
Sometimes, God rescues us by revealing what we wished was not true.
His Word reminds me:
I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten...
— Joel 2:25
Tonight, I choose to believe that promise.
God restores years.
He restores peace.
He restores confidence.
He restores joy.
He restores opportunities.
He restores dreams.
Most importantly, He restores hearts.
I also hold onto His promise:
He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6
And another that has become my anchor:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
Comments
Post a Comment