Forgiveness

Forgiveness does not mean pretending that what happened was okay. It means releasing the desire to punish the person and asking God to help you surrender the pain to Him. You can forgive while still having boundaries.

A verse to hold onto

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Ephesians 4:32

And when forgiveness feels impossible:

Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me?

Jesus answered: Not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Matthew 18:21–22

You don't have to force yourself to feel forgiveness tonight. Sometimes forgiveness begins simply with:

God, I am willing to become willing to forgive. Please do in my heart what I cannot do by myself.

And remember: forgiving someone does not require giving them the same access to you again. Forgiveness and boundaries can exist together.

FORGIVENESS: THE COURAGE TO HEAL

Forgiveness is often misunderstood.

Forgiveness is not saying that what happened was okay.

It is not forgetting.

It is not excusing someone's behaviour.

It is not pretending you weren't hurt.

And it does not mean allowing someone to hurt you again.

Forgiveness is choosing to release the pain, anger and desire for revenge into God's hands so that what someone did to you does not continue to control your life.

Why forgive?

Because carrying unforgiveness can keep you emotionally connected to the very thing that hurt you.

You replay the conversation.

You wonder why they did it.

You imagine what you should have said.

You become angry again.

You wait for an apology that may never come.

Forgiveness begins to break that cycle.

You forgive not because they deserve freedom from the consequences of their actions, but because you deserve freedom from carrying their actions every day.

What should you do when someone deeply hurts you?

1. Don't react immediately.

When you are wounded, your emotions are loud. Give yourself time before sending the message, making the call or making a permanent decision.

2. Allow yourself to acknowledge the hurt.

You don't have to say, I'm fine.

Say:

That hurt me. I am angry. I am disappointed. I don't understand why this happened.

God can handle your honest emotions.

3. Separate forgiveness from reconciliation.

You can forgive someone without restoring the relationship to what it was.

Reconciliation requires trust, accountability, changed behaviour and sometimes a genuine apology.

Forgiveness can happen from a distance.

4. Set boundaries where necessary.

Forgiveness does not mean giving someone unlimited access to your heart, your home, your finances, your time or your life.

Sometimes the healthiest response is:

I forgive you, but I cannot continue allowing this behaviour in my life.

5. Give the situation to God.

Instead of constantly asking, How could they do this to me?”*, eventually you can begin asking:

God, what do You want to heal in me through this?”

That question changes everything.


WHAT FORGIVENESS DOES TO HEAL YOU

Forgiveness creates space.

Space to breathe.

Space to think.

Space to rebuild.

Space to love again.

Space to become who you were meant to be.

It doesn't erase the memory. It changes your relationship with the memory.

One day you may remember what happened without feeling the same intensity of anger.

You may look back and say:

It hurt me, but it didn't destroy me.

And that is part of healing.

Forgiveness is freedom.

You cannot control whether someone apologises.

You cannot change what they did.

You cannot rewrite yesterday.

But you can decide that their actions will not own tomorrow.

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Ephesians 4:32

And perhaps the most important prayer when forgiveness feels impossible is:

God, I want to forgive, but I am still hurting. Help me forgive before I feel ready. Heal the part of me that was wounded, give me wisdom about what boundaries I need, and help me release this person and this situation into Your hands.

Forgiveness is not weakness.

Sometimes forgiveness is the strongest decision a wounded heart can make.

MNCOLLECTIVE INSIGHTS UNFILTERED

BELIEVE • BRAND • BUILD




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5