Business Lessons & Pursuits: A Journey Through Dreams, Detours, and Doors That Opened
Business Lessons & Pursuits: A Journey Through Dreams, Detours, and Doors That Opened
Recall my journey into marketing in the hospitality industry and the importance of never forgetting those who believed in you or opened doors for you.
Today, as I sit and reflect, my mum reminded me of the man who gave me my first real opportunity in my marketing career within hospitality — Mr. Mohammed Hersi.
He is one of those rare leaders in the hospitality space who has not only built brands and hotels but also quietly shaped people giving young professionals a chance to grow, learn, and step into purpose. For many of us, especially in Kenya’s hospitality industry, his influence is felt through the doors he opened and the confidence he instilled.
In 2010, I was in the Middle East working as a host at Burger King a whole graduate in Computer Science and a postgraduate in Public Relations Management.
I had searched everywhere for jobs. I tried everything consulting, events, small gigs, anything that could work. I even started an events company. Looking back, if I had been more patient and consistent, it could have grown into one of the pioneering events companies in Kenya. But at that time, the dream was still forming.
When I was searching for opportunities, I relied on newspapers, physical visits, and Yellow Pages. The internet was not what it is today. Every lead required effort walking into offices, scanning listings, and following every possible door.
During that time, I had already managed to secure two gigs a friend’s sister’s wedding and a corporate event at Serena Hotels. Small steps, but meaningful ones.
Then one day, while going through newspaper features The Star, Daily Nation, Standard I came across an event feature about Sarova Whitesands. It was an end-of-year cocktail event in January 2011. Something about it struck me deeply. I cannot explain whether it was coincidence or divine direction, but I remember it vividly.
Every morning, I would wake up early, prepare myself as though I had a full-time job, and sit in front of the computer my mother had bought me a complete workstation with a desk, printer, and office chair. She set me up for success at 20, even when I had no formal job at the time.
I had returned to Kenya after a short stint in Bahrain. I knew I was not coming back to employment at least not immediately. I was exploring business, ideas, and opportunity.
Even earlier, I had begun developing an entrepreneurial mindset. While in the Middle East, I would shop in malls during sales seasons, picking unique items clothes, shoes, accessories, jewellery things that stood out. I would buy them at discounted prices and resell them in Kenya at a margin. Small profits, but real experience.
I would sell to friends, small business owners, and wholesale buyers. Within weeks, everything would sell out. People even asked me to restock, but I couldn’t I was on a work visa, and circumstances limited me.
When I returned home, I shared the idea with my father, but it was discouraged. Like many households then, the expectation was clear: get a proper job. Business was not considered a stable path.
Still, the entrepreneurial spark had already been lit.
Over time, I tried many ventures events consultancy, PR ideas, retail, rice from Mwea, peanuts, thrift clothing, perfumes, soaps, home items. At some point, I even tried stitching clothes to sell. I explored everything I could.
I also partnered with a foreign investor I met while working in Mombasa. We opened a clothing store in Greenspan Mall, Eastlands with imported fashion from New York. It was a high-end concept at the time. But when the business opened, I had just delivered a baby and was not able to manage it fully. My sister tried to run it, but it wasn’t aligned with her strengths either. Eventually, we closed it.
I learned something important: you cannot force people into your dream, and not every opportunity survives without the right timing, structure, and capacity.
My business journey continued in cycles some success, many attempts, and many lessons. I have learned that I cannot serve two masters at full strength. My career grew because I gave it my full energy, while business remained a side pursuit, limited by time, responsibility, and resources.
Even today, I continue trying. I am currently closing another shop I started late last year selling ready-made Kenyan clothing. The sales are good when products move, but sustaining rent and operations has been a challenge. So we pause, reset, and try again differently.
One thing I have come to accept is this: dreams do not die. They pause. They wait. And they return when you are ready.
Back to Sarova Whitesands that newspaper feature became a turning point. It was part of the path that eventually connected me to hospitality marketing and the career journey that followed.
And through that journey, I met people like Mr. Mohammed Hersi individuals who open doors, see potential, and give chances when they do not have to.
That is something I will never take lightly.
“Your journey is not defined by how many times you start, but by the courage to keep returning to the dream that never left you.”
*******
MNCOLLECTIVE INSIGHTS UNFILTERED
BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD
Comments
Post a Comment