When Life Goes On

MN Collective | Insights Unfiltered 

Believe. Brand. Build

There are seasons in life that quietly change you forever. Not because the world stopped, but because it didn’t.

Last year in August 2025, my family walked through one of the hardest seasons we had ever faced. My dad, a man who had always been strong, vibrant, present, and full of life, suddenly became unwell. One day he was okay, and then slowly, almost painfully quietly, we watched his health decline day after day. He grew weaker. He could barely eat. His energy faded before our eyes. Yet somehow, even in his pain, he still tried to show up strong for us.

I remember one Saturday so vividly.

Dad slowly walked out of his room, visibly weak, exhausted, and fragile. Then he looked at me and said something I will never forget:

“Please go to work. When you come back, you can take me to hospital.”

Even now, thinking about those words breaks something inside me.

At that moment, I wished more than anything that I was my own employer. I wished life could pause. I wished responsibilities could wait. But I had work obligations, and I feared that not showing up would not be understood. So I left for work carrying the weight of fear in my chest, wondering if the version of my father I was leaving at home was the same version I would return to.

Yet even in his weakest state, my father was still thinking about me, about my work, about my future, at the expense of his own pain.

By God’s grace, I came back home and found him alive, and we rushed him to hospital. For days, we camped between fear, prayer, exhaustion, and hope.

I remember one clinician attending to us while casually watching football during the consultation. Perhaps they had already dismissed dad’s condition. Maybe they had seen too many cases. But for us, this was not routine. This was our father. Our world. Our fear.

As a family, we silently knew we were staring at something serious.

But dad feared large hospitals and specialists. Too many stories had filled him with fear stories of people admitted with minor conditions who never made it back home. So he refused to go to one of the major hospitals. Instead, we kept taking him to a small clinic near home where different clinicians attended to him every day.

Fear of loss is a kind of pain I would never wish on anyone.

The fear of possibly losing someone you love changes you. It humbles you. It silences you. It drains language from your mouth until sometimes all you can do is cry before God.

I remember sitting in church one Sunday unable to even pray properly. I had no words left. As worship continued around me, I simply cried. Quietly. Deeply. Endlessly.

Then after the service, my daughter held my phone, looked at me innocently, and said:

“Mum, don’t worry. I promise you Guka will be okay.”

She believed it with complete certainty.

That childlike faith reminded me of Scripture:

“Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed… nothing will be impossible for you.”

— The Bible

********

When my own faith felt weak, my daughter carried enough faith for all of us.

And slowly, through prayer, grace, mercy, and God’s healing hand, my father recovered.

Miraculously.

Today, he is stronger, healthier, more energetic, and more vibrant than before his illness. Sometimes I watch him now and silently thank God because there were moments we genuinely did not know if he would survive.

On his 71st birthday during that difficult season, we did not buy a cake. We did not celebrate the way families normally do. Instead, we knelt together as a family and prayed over his life. We thanked God in advance for healing. We declared life over him.

And God answered.

“But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,’ declares the Lord.”

— The Bible

*********

“I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord.”

— The Bible

**********

Today, my father is living testimony that God still heals, restores, and rewrites stories.

But this experience also taught me something else something uncomfortable, yet deeply true:

Life goes on.

I remember sitting at my office desk looking outside the window watching people laugh, drive, shop, continue meetings, continue life while my father was fighting for his health. And something inside me struggled with that reality.

How could the world keep moving when my world felt like it was collapsing?

I would drive to work wondering why everyone seemed normal while I was silently breaking inside. Sometimes grief and fear make you feel as though the world should pause with you. As though people owe you their sadness. As though life should stop because your heart has stopped.

But life keeps moving.

People sympathize for a moment. Some pray for you. Some comfort you. Some celebrate with you. But eventually, everyone returns to their own lives.

And the same applies when life is good.

You may work hard to gain success, status, recognition, power, or wealth hoping people will finally notice you, validate you, or bow to your achievements. Yet eventually you discover something profound:

People move on.

Life moves on whether you are winning or losing.

“Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

— The Bible

********

“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?”

*********

The world does not stop for our pain, and it does not stop for our victories either.

That realization can sound painful, but it is also freeing.

Because it teaches us to hold life differently. To value moments differently. To become present. To love deeply while we still can. To pray more. To forgive quicker. To appreciate ordinary days. To stop postponing joy.

Most importantly, it reminds us to trust God through every season whether we are celebrating miracles or surviving storms.

Today, when I see my father laughing, walking strongly, full of life again, I do not take it for granted. I understand now that healing itself is a miracle many families pray for every single day. While others prayed and still lost their loved in similar situations.  We remain grateful that he preserved dad's life. 

And for anyone carrying fear, grief, uncertainty, or the weight of possibly losing someone they love, I pray you find strength in knowing this:

God sees you even when the world keeps moving.

He hears silent prayers.

He understands tears with no words.

He sits with us in hospital corridors, in parked cars after church, in sleepless nights, and in moments where faith feels impossible to hold.

And sometimes, He sends faith through the smallest voices like a little child saying:

“Don’t worry. Guka will be okay.”

**************************************

Recently, I was reminded of this again while watching a reel by Murugi Munyi after the passing of her uncle, Dr. Obeaka, this past weekend. As she shared her grief publicly, I found myself reliving that season with my father all over again.

It brought back memories of another conversation I once had with a close friend who had gone through an incredibly painful season of double loss. I remember calling her during that difficult period and asking quietly, “Is this how it feels?”

Because unless someone has experienced deep loss, fear of loss, or the possibility of losing someone they love, it is difficult to fully explain the heaviness that comes with it. There is a kind of silence grief creates inside you. A loneliness. A feeling that the world should somehow pause because your heart has paused.

Yet strangely, the world keeps moving.

People still laugh.

Meetings still happen.

Traffic still builds.

Music still plays.

Social media still scrolls.

Restaurants still fill up.

Life continues.

And when you are hurting deeply, that reality can almost feel offensive.

I remember sitting at work watching people continue with normal life while my father was unwell and silently wondering:

“How is everyone okay when my world feels like it’s falling apart?”

But that is one of life’s hardest truths.

Sometimes life stops for you, but not for the world.

The pain is deeply personal. The grief is deeply personal. The fear is deeply personal. Yet the world keeps spinning.

And perhaps that is why we must learn to give people grace because you never truly know what someone is carrying quietly while still showing up to work, smiling through meetings, posting online, or trying to function normally.

Some people are surviving the hardest season of their lives silently.

At the same time, this truth also teaches us something powerful: no matter what season we are in good or bad life will keep moving. So we must learn to anchor ourselves in God, in gratitude, in faith, and in the people we love while we still have them.

“To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.”

*****

And somehow, through grief, healing, joy, fear, loss, restoration, and hope God carries us through every season while life continues moving forward.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5