Work, Responsibility, and the Grace to Keep Showing Up
Yesterday started beautifully. I woke up early, prepared for work, and stepped into the day feeling grateful, hopeful, and ready to give my best. The day itself was productive and peaceful, but the journey home became something I never expected.
Just five minutes away from home, traffic suddenly came to a complete standstill because an electricity pole had fallen on the road. What should have been a short drive turned into five exhausting hours stuck in traffic from 7 p.m. until almost midnight. By the time I got home, my body was drained and my mind exhausted. Yet only a few hours later, I had to wake up again for another early morning because work still awaited me. It was raining, I had already worked continuously since Sunday, and every part of me wished for just a little more sleep.
Still, despite the exhaustion, I woke up grateful. Many people sleep and never wake up again, but God granted me another day, another breath, and another opportunity to live, work, and fulfill purpose. Life itself is not guaranteed. Leaving home safely and returning back safely is grace. Every new morning is evidence of God’s mercy.
In moments like these, I remember the verse in the Book of Proverbs that says, “A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest and poverty will come on you like a thief.” The Bible teaches the value of diligence, discipline, and responsibility. Work is honorable, and showing up even when tired is part of commitment and stewardship.
At the same time, exhaustion is real. Sometimes we wake up not because our bodies are fully rested, but because responsibilities demand it. We rise tired and continue anyway. We show up not always at one hundred percent, but with whatever strength we have left. That is the reality for many employees whose jobs require physical presence every single day. There are mornings when all you desire is more rest, especially after spending hours in traffic and losing precious time that could have been used to recover, reflect, or simply be present with family.
Yesterday also gave me another important reflection. It is not easy for anyone, regardless of status or position. Seeing the President's hosted late at night at State House after what was clearly already a long day of work, and then still expected to show up the next morning for the Africa Forward Summit 2026 in Nairobi, (11th to 12th May 2026) reminded me that leadership also comes with sacrifice, discipline, and responsibility. Long days, endless meetings, public engagements, and difficult decisions are part of the assignment.
What stood out to me most was not just leadership itself, but leadership by example. Presence matters. Passion matters. Excellence matters. The attention to detail, preparedness, commitment, and consistency I observed reminded me that true leaders do not simply give instructions they demonstrate the standard through their own actions. Leadership is not only about authority; it is also about humility, service, discipline, and showing up even when tired.
Sometimes we assume that certain people have it easier because of their titles, influence, or success, but the reality is that work is part of life for all of us. Whether rich or poor, big or small, known or unknown, we all have responsibilities to carry and contributions to make. We all have to wake up, do our part, and give our best with the strength God provides.
******
This is also why I often think about the future of work and the importance of hybrid or remote opportunities where possible. For many roles, productivity should be measured by results and deliverables rather than by the number of hours spent commuting through traffic. If an employee can fulfill responsibilities effectively from home, then flexibility becomes not only practical but humane. Long hours wasted on the road drain energy, mental health, family time, and even creativity. Trust between employers and employees matters. Give people clear responsibilities, measurable goals, and accountability, and allow room for balance where possible.
Today, I may not show up at my absolute best because I am exhausted, but I will still show up. I love what I do, and I understand the importance of responsibility. Yet through all of it, I remain deeply grateful. Grateful for life. Grateful for health. Grateful for another sunrise and another chance to try again.
Faith teaches us that even in weariness, God gives strength for the day ahead. So I step into today trusting Him for grace, protection, provision, wisdom, and the strength to keep moving forward one day at a time.
MN Collective Insights Unfiltered
Believe. Brand. Build.
Comments
Post a Comment