THE POWER OF LIFE AND DEATH
Believe even when circumstances say otherwise.~ @MNCOLLECTIVE
There are moments in life that forever remind you that life itself is held together by the grace of God.
A few years ago in 2012, after lunch, I returned to my desk at work. I was on medication at the time, and one of the tablets was supposed to be diluted in water because it was large. To this day, I still do not know why I decided to swallow it whole. I could easily blame the devil, but honestly, it was a decision I made myself.
As I placed the tablet in my mouth and bent my head back to swallow it with water, the tablet lodged itself in my throat.
I tried coughing it out, but it refused to move.
Within seconds, panic filled the room. I was sharing an office with my immediate boss and my assistant. Then something unusual happened my mother called. At that time, she rarely called during the day because I was living in Mombasa while she was in Nairobi. My boss picked up the phone and told her, “Please pray for her. She is not okay.”
To this day, I know God, my mother’s prayers, and my faith saved my life.
Everyone tried helping me. The nurse came. I was beginning to lose oxygen. My body started turning pale and green. I could feel life slowly leaving me. I remember my boss shouting at me in desperation:
“Mercy, there is nothing else we can do. Please pray to your God!”
And in that moment, with every ounce of faith left inside me, my spirit cried out louder than my voice ever could:
“Not now, God. Not like this.”
I was dying.
Then I made one last cough. I call it the "cough of life" today. That last cough is the reason we are here today.
And suddenly, the tablet came out.
What a relief.
That experience reminded me that life and death truly belong to God. My mother’s prayers mattered, yes, but so did my belief. There was power in what I spoke in that moment. Even when death stood before me, I spoke life.
The Bible says:
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.” Proverbs 18:21
Years later, something similar happened to my daughter.
Like most children, she was innocently playing and accidentally placed a tablet sachet in her mouth. Tragically, it lodged in her throat. This situation was even worse because the sharp edges of the sachet scratched her throat, and she began bleeding.
I was with my house manager, and together we tried everything we could to remove it, but nothing worked. As I watched my daughter struggling for her life, my heart cried out to God in desperation.
Then my house manager looked at me calmly, i remember the boldness in her eyes and said:
“Relax Mama Sarah. I got this.”
And she meant it.
God bless that woman wherever she is today.
Without fear, she pushed her fingers deep into my daughter’s throat and somehow managed to pull out both the lodged sachet and the tablet. Even the doctors later wondered how it happened. Miracles happen.
But I know.
The only thing I could say in that terrifying moment was:
“God, please save my daughter.”
And that prayer came from the deepest place in my soul.
These experiences taught me something powerful: there is truly power in life and death through the words we speak and the faith we carry.
Jesus says:
“If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20
How big is your faith?
At church this year 2026, our theme is “Contending for Your Faith,” and these moments reminded me what that truly means. Faith is not just spoken in church on Sunday. Faith is lived.
There have been days I have driven to work with almost no fuel in my car because finances were tight, yet I still trusted God to make a way. Only once in all my years of driving has my car ever stalled because of fuel and even then, it stalled right at the entrance of a petrol station. Miracles happen ✨️
That is God. That is MY God.
The Bible reminds us:
“Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” James 2:17
Faith must be worked upon.
Speak life into your situation.
Work your faith.
Pray even when things look impossible.
Believe even when circumstances say otherwise.
My daughter and I are alive today because in moments that looked like death, we chose to speak life. And the same God who saved us then is still able today to revive any situation that seems dead whether it is your dream, your finances, your career, your marriage, your health, your purpose, or your hope.
Nothing is too far gone for God.
Believe Him.
Work your faith.
And today, speak life over your situation.
******
MN Collective Insights Unfiltered
Believe. Brand. Build
Comments
Post a Comment