The Builders Among Us
MN Collective | Insights Unfiltered
BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD
Every day, I drive through places like Runda, Karen, Nyari, or even Nyali and I find myself asking the same question:
Why am I not the one owning these buildings?
Why am I not the one building the malls, the companies, the hotels, the brands, the factories, the opportunities?
Why am I the one working for them instead of them working with me?
And the more I grow, the more I realize this question is not coming from jealousy. It comes from something deeper. A calling. A restless spirit. A builder’s heart.
Because the truth is, those buildings are owned by human beings just like you and me. Those companies were started by ordinary people. Those brands we admire were once just ideas in someone’s mind. Someone believed enough to build. Someone dared enough to begin.
Some people are created to maintain systems. Others are created to build them.
I have come to understand that not everyone carries the burden or desire to create. Some people are comfortable receiving. Comfortable surviving. Comfortable following the traditional path they were taught:
“Go to school. Get a job. Stay there. Be grateful.”
And there is nothing wrong with employment. Employment feeds families. Employment sustains dreams. Employment is honorable. I say this with gratitude because God has blessed me through jobs over the years. Through employment, I have met people, grown, survived difficult seasons, and even recommended opportunities to others.
But some of us carry something else inside us.
A constant ache to build.
An ache to create opportunities, not just receive them.
An ache to solve problems, create systems, employ others, empower people, and open doors for those coming behind us. That ache never leaves.
Even when you are seated at your office desk. Even when you receive your salary. Even when people think you are doing well. Your spirit still whispers: “There is more inside you.”
I grew up around employees. Hardworking people. Respectable people. People who did their best with what they knew. And many of us inherited that mindset without realizing it. We were taught stability, not ownership. Survival, not creation.
So when you mention leaving a job to pursue something bigger, people panic.
“Where are you going?”
“To do what?”
“Do you know how many people are looking for jobs?”
And they are right. Jobs are scarce. Opportunities are few. The economy is difficult. Every day I receive calls from people searching for work. Young people. Older people. Brilliant people.
That is exactly why my heart longs to build.
Because I do not only want success for myself. I want to create spaces where others can eat too.
I once heard a story about an African billionaire who became tired of endless handouts from relatives and community members. Instead of constantly giving money, he built an airline and businesses that created jobs for thousands of people. He understood something powerful:
Handouts sustain people temporarily. Opportunities transform generations. That stayed with me deeply. And maybe that is why I admire builders so much. Not just because of wealth, but because of what they create for others.
People like Aliko Dangote, who built industries across Africa and employs thousands.
People like Vimal Shah who helped grow manufacturing in Kenya.
People like Chris Kirubi, who constantly spoke about thinking beyond employment.
People like James Mworia, who showed that African businesses can scale globally.
These people did not only create wealth. They created ecosystems.
And lately, I have found myself admiring local founders quietly building opportunities in everyday industries.
Brands like Nila Baby Shop and Nia Creations & Branding. Watching their growth from humble beginnings to multiple branches reminds me that businesses are not built overnight. Someone believed in an idea long before the public saw the success.
I admire businesses like Shiquo Hii Styles. Not because it is a luxury empire, but because of what it represents: distribution, retail, movement of goods, jobs, resellers, warehouse staff, marketers, delivery riders, customer care teams. One business can feed hundreds of homes.
That is what many people miss when they look at entrepreneurship only from the outside.
A business is not just a logo or profits.
A business is livelihoods.
It is dignity.
It is possibility.
And maybe that is why some of us cannot stop dreaming even after failure.
Because builders fail and still dream again.
I have tried things before. I have sold thrift clothes. Peanuts. Tried businesses. Opened a shop in Eastlands with a partner before things fell apart. I have started and stopped. Won and lost. Questioned myself countless times.
But one thing has remained constant:
I have never stopped thinking about building.
Even as a child, I remember cutting newspaper articles about successful business people and keeping them carefully. I was fascinated by builders. By creators. By visionaries. Something inside me always knew I was interested in more than just surviving.
I was interested in creating.
Maybe some dreams delay not because they are denied, but because they require preparation. Maybe some builders are not lacking vision, but lacking support, networks, mentorship, funding, or the right environment.
There are people with brilliant ideas seated quietly in offices today. People with courage. Creativity. Leadership. Vision. Yet they remain stuck in fear, comfort zones, limited circles, or lack of resources.
Some builders simply need someone to believe in them.
Someone to hold their hand and say:
“Start.” or how can help? I sew you have something in you? How cam I help?
The Bible is filled with verses about building, creating, helping others, and becoming a blessing.
The Proverbs 31 woman was not passive. She was a builder:
“She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.” — Proverbs 31:16
She created. Invested. Built.
Another verse says:
“The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor.” — Proverbs 22:9
And in Ecclesiastes 11:6:
“Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle.”
God blesses builders because builders become vessels through which other people are blessed.
Even in the Parable of the Talents in Gospel of Matthew 25, the servants who multiplied what they were given were rewarded. God honored multiplication, stewardship, and growth.
And perhaps that is the difference between builders and those who only receive.
Builders see possibility where others see limitation.
Builders carry responsibility before they carry results.
Builders keep dreaming even when resources are absent.
Builders are willing to fail publicly to create privately.
Builders understand that success is not only about personal comfort, but impact.
I do not believe everyone is called to entrepreneurship. But I do believe some of us are deeply wired for creation. We feel restless until we build something bigger than ourselves.
And maybe one day, my turn will come too.
Not just to own buildings.
Not just to create wealth.
But to create opportunities.
To employ.
To mentor.
To nurture talent.
To open doors.
To become the kind of person I once prayed to meet.
Maybe that is the real dream after all.
To become a blessing big enough that other people’s prayers are answered through the work of your hands.
Comments
Post a Comment