Less is more, less is sustainable, and what is sustainable can be repeated.
"Life, like decluttering, is not about having more, it is about making room for what matters most." Decluttering taught me that less is not about having little, it is about creating space for what truly matters."
A staircase is climbed one step at a time, and success is built the same way. Less is more because less is sustainable, and what is sustainable can be repeated. What is repeated consistently eventually compounds into extraordinary results.
Over the years, I am slowly learning that less is more. We are already carrying so much as human beings. Whatever you intend to do in life, do a little bit of it every day and make it a lifestyle rather than trying to climb a mountain all at once. A mountain is conquered one step at a time, just as a staircase is climbed one step at a time. Life is the same. Small, consistent steps eventually take you where you want to go.
I have always been interested in healthy living, but for years I was inconsistent. I would go for a walk today and then perhaps not walk again for another two years. I would join a gym once in a while, but never long enough to build consistency. I did what my heart wanted, but my body was not disciplined enough to turn those desires into habits.
Eventually, I decided to focus on a few things I had struggled with for years and make them part of my lifestyle. Last year, I started going to the gym. Thank God for the support of a loved one during a very difficult season of my life. At the beginning, the gym was more about my sanity than my body. I went all in, training almost every day. I am also grateful for my coach, who was strict and constantly pushed me beyond what I thought I could do.
On the first day, my trainer wanted to take my weight and body measurements. To this day, I have never wanted to weigh myself again. I remember telling him that my goal was not a number on a scale it was to make wellness a lifestyle. One year later, I can honestly say my body has become addicted to movement and exercise.
Even before joining the gym, I had started with simple disciplines: daily sit-ups and squats. For the past three years, I have consistently done them at least four times a week. Everything beautiful takes time. What started as small steps eventually became part of who I am. Today, wellness is simply part of my life.
The same applies to reading and learning. Information is power. To stay ahead, you must keep growing. Every day I try to listen to something inspiring, learn something new, or read even if it is only one page or one chapter. Growth compounds just like exercise.
Prayer is no different. Before I touch my phone, before my mind is cluttered by the world, I take time to speak to God. Before I even raise my head from the pillow, I connect with Him spiritually. That daily discipline has become one of the anchors of my life.
As I continue learning from people who have achieved great things from mentors to successful entrepreneurs I have realized that their success is often built on simple disciplines repeated consistently over time. Learn the discipline first. Start small. Build the habit. Over time, what once felt difficult becomes part of your identity.
Last month I took a break from the gym due to unavoidable personal circumstances. I do not know how long the break will last, but because my body had become accustomed to movement, I naturally found other ways to stay active. My daily squats, sit-ups, and walks helped me maintain the discipline. The habit remained even when the environment changed.
That is one of the greatest lessons I have learned: everything you want to do, start small. Do not go too hard too fast. Do not try to tick other people's checklists. People pursue things for different reasons. You can learn from others and be inspired by them, but do not try to copy them.
I might decide to weigh myself in five years, or maybe I won't. I am not in a hurry. My goal is not a number. My goal is to make wellness, learning, prayer, and discipline a way of life. Every day I try to do a little bit of the disciplines that contribute to my success.
The real discipline is consistency. Consistency compounds. Small steps are sustainable. Less is more. And over time, those small steps make you stronger, wiser, healthier, and more efficient than any short burst of effort ever could.
I remember when I started a business during COVID helping people declutter their homes. Many clients were hesitant to spend money, and even more hesitant to let go of items they no longer needed. Yet through that business, I learned the same lesson I keep seeing in every area of life: transformation rarely happens overnight.
Whether it is a home, a business, a body, a mindset, or a life, lasting change comes one small step at a time.
Decluttering is the intentional process of removing excess possessions, distractions, and unnecessary items to create more space, clarity, functionality, and peace. It is not simply cleaning or organizing. True decluttering is letting go of what no longer serves a purpose.
When I started working with clients, I realized many had strong emotional attachments to things they had accumulated over the years. I felt I would not be doing them justice if I simply arranged their homes without helping them properly declutter. So I would walk alongside them and encourage them to let go slowly one item at a time.
One of the things I would tell them was, "If you haven't used it in the last year, chances are you may never use it again."
Over time, I developed a few simple pillars that guided my decluttering business:
My Decluttering Pillars by Clutter to Comfort
1. If you haven't used it in the last year, let it go.
2. For every item you bring in, release one. If you buy one pair of shoes, let go of one pair. If you buy two, release two.
3. Everything should be visible. When you enter your home, you should be able to see what you own within your line of sight.
4. One person's clutter is another person's treasure. The clothes, shoes, books, and household items sitting unused in your home may be exactly what someone else needs.
5. If you can't see it, you probably don't need it.
These principles helped many people release years of accumulated possessions, but what fascinates me today is how these same principles apply far beyond our homes.
I even find myself applying them when I look at spaces, events, and design. For example, I dislike weddings that are overcrowded with décor and unnecessary details. Keep it simple. Less is more.
In fact, many of the pillars I used for decluttering now guide how I view life itself.
Less is more.
Less is clear.
Less is clean.
Less is crisp.
Less is perfection
Less is excellence
Less is luxury.
Walk into a luxury store and notice what you see. From the entrance, you can view almost every item. Nothing competes for your attention. Every piece has room to breathe. The space feels intentional.
I admit that I often judge a lot by what I see especially people's spaces, shoes, and dressing.
If I walk into a cluttered space, it often tells me something about the person's habits, priorities, or state of mind. Shoes tell a story. The way someone dresses tells a story too. Sometimes even color choices speak volumes. When people do too much, it often creates noise. When things are simple, they become clearer.
Of course, appearances do not tell the whole story about a person, but they often reveal patterns.
For me, the principle of "less is more" has become a lens through which I make decisions and perceive the world. What began as a decluttering business during COVID became a life philosophy. Though even while growing up i lived organizing and arranging stuff.
Because whether we are talking about homes, wardrobes, businesses, relationships, finances, or personal growth, the truth remains the same:
You do not climb a mountain in one leap.
You climb it one step at a time.
And often, the first step forward begins by letting something go.
Looking back, I realize my decluttering business was never just about homes. It was teaching a life lesson I continue to live by today. The same way a house becomes lighter, clearer, and more functional when unnecessary things are removed, our lives become more meaningful when we stop trying to carry everything at once. We live in a world that celebrates doing more, owning more, and becoming more, yet some of the greatest progress comes from simplifying. Focusing on one task at a time, one goal at a time, one habit at a time, and one step at a time allows us to move forward with intention rather than overwhelm.
Less is not about having little, it is about making room for what matters most. Less clutter creates more clarity. Less distraction creates more focus. Less rushing creates more presence. Less noise creates more peace. The lessons I taught my clients while helping them release old clothes, books, and household items are the same lessons I apply to life today. Growth, like decluttering, happens gradually. One item at a time. One decision at a time. One step at a time. Because in homes and in life, less is often what allows us to become more.
Decluttering is the practice, less is more is the principle. By removing what no longer serves us, we create room for what truly matters, discovering that having less clutter often gives us more clarity, peace, and purpose.
One item at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time that is how homes and lives are transformed." ~ @MNCOLLECTIVE
MN Collective Insights Unfiltered
Believe. Brand. Build
Comments
Post a Comment