Never Judge Success

People often judge success by what they can see the cars someone drives, the clothes they wear, the places they go, or the life they display to the world. But growing up taught me that true success is far deeper than appearances.

One thing I admire about my father is that he never compares himself to others. He appreciates good things and works hard for more, yet he remains content and grateful for what he has. He never lives to impress people or compete with them. He simply embraces life with peace, dignity, and gratitude. That quiet contentment taught me that true success is not just in possessions, but in being at peace with who you are and where you are. That is freedom I could write forever about my father,  these are only small pieces of the man he truly is.

I remember a season when my father no longer had a car. I cannot clearly remember whether it had broken down or whether he had sold it, but I now understand there were sacrifices happening behind the scenes that we, as children, could not fully comprehend then.

But as a.mother I understand now, there are things my children will only understand when they become parents themselves.

My father held senior executive roles  the kind of positions people admire and associate with prestige, power, influence, and wealth. He walked through important office doors, carried responsibility on his shoulders, and commanded respect in professional spaces. Yet after leaving those executive offices, dressed in his little red suits, polished and dignified, he would quietly walk with us to the matatu stage and board public transport home.

And we did that for years.

I remember rainy evenings vividly. The kind of Nairobi rains that flood roads not as much as today and delay transport for hours. Sometimes we would get home past midnight. I was in college then, and sometimes I would pass by his office so we could go home together. We would stand at crowded matatu termini, waiting for transport as rain poured endlessly around us. I would look at my father standing there in his pristine suit, calm and unbothered, carrying himself with grace despite the circumstances and his titles.My dad was never defined by big titles or power. He maintains his persona everywhere and even how he relates with everyone. 

Never once did he complain.

Never once did he try to impress people.

Never once did he allow his situation to reduce his dignity.

He walked with the same confidence into his big office and into the matatu.

That season taught me one of the greatest lessons of my life never judge success by appearances. If the many people who sat next to him knew his title but is dad never the one to showoff. Treat everyone equally. 

My father is an introvert. He is not loud, flashy, or performative. He does not live for cameras or public validation. Many people may misunderstand him because he moves quietly through life, but beneath that quietness is one of the purest hearts I have ever known a heart that reflects God and a little child..

He lived a life of silent sacrifice.

The car he later bought again, he eventually sold to help pay my school fees. That is the kind of man he is. Selfless. Present. Steady. A provider in every sense of the word.

If there is one man I know who truly gave his life for his wife and children, it is my father.

Even today, if I called him stranded somewhere, he would immediately find a way to come for me. The same for my brother. He has always shown up. Consistently. Quietly. Faithfully.

My father is the true definition of a man carrying the four Ps:

Priest.

Provider.

Protector.

Prophet.

He was not the loud charismatic church man people often associate with spirituality, but he has a beautiful relationship with his God as he fondly refers God. . I know it deeply. I have seen his God preserve him through situations where only grace could sustain a person. Many of his peers are no longer alive, yet God has kept him.

Integrity has marked his life.

He has helped people quietly.

Given quietly.

Encouraged us to give where we can.

Taught us compassion without preaching it loudly.

My father exposed us to excellence even when it cost him personally. In his own simple way, he made us feel like we lived in abundance. He stretched himself beyond comfort to take us to the best schools, places and campuses he could afford because he believed in giving his children amazing opportunities.

And through all of this, he has loved our mother deeply.

Even today, my children can see it.

My daughter once told me:

“Mum, Guka really loves Shosh.”

She observed how he picks her up, drops her off, buys her things when he can, and cares for her naturally and intentionally. Their love story became a silent lesson for all of us watching and even my cousin some say they are a great couple .

One day my daughter asked him:

“Who do you love most in the family?”

He answered simply:

“All of you.”

And that is who my father is.

A man without favoritism.

A man who shows up equally.

Provides equally.

Loves equally.

Even his grandchildren are now experiencing the same love and consistency we experienced growing up.

What moves me most is the discipline he instilled without fear or harshness. Mum may have been the stricter disciplinarian, but Dad carried quiet authority. Even today, I make many decisions thinking:

“What would Dad think about this?”

The other day my daughter jokingly told me:

“I will report you to Guka. You haven’t serviced your car.”

The next morning, I called the mechanic immediately.

Not because my father would shout at me.

But because his life taught us responsibility through example.

That is leadership.

That is fatherhood.

I watch my son admire him deeply, and it heals something in me. One day while driving to school, I asked my son what kind of man he wanted to become. He answered:

“My grandfather.”

That answer touched my soul.

Because in a generation where many boys are growing up without healthy examples of manhood, my son has one close to him. He sees a man who loves his family, respects his wife, shows up for his children, walks in integrity, and leads quietly with wisdom.

And I see my father’s spirit in him already.

Whenever my son comes home from school, the first thing he does is call me to ask where I am, whether I am safe, and what time I am coming home. If I delay, he waits up for me no matter how tired he is.

That is my father’s spirit living through another generation.

Dad, you are a great man. My definition os Success. 

The world may never fully know your impact because you never lived loudly enough for the world to notice. But to us your family you are our hero. You are the standard. You are the example.

You taught us that success is not noise.

Success is sacrifice.

Success is integrity.

Success is presence.

Success is pure unconditional love.

Success is raising a family that feels safe, seen, protected, and deeply loved.

And now as you enter your sunset years, my greatest prayer is that God restores every sacrifice you ever made. May your latter years be filled with peace, joy, dignity, health, and reward. May you finally enjoy the fruits of everything you poured into others.

You have done well, Dad.

And while you are still here with us, I want to give you your flowers.

*******

A Poem For My Father

The Quiet Man

He was never the loudest man in the room,

Yet his presence filled every corner of our lives.

A man in polished suits at crowded bus stages,

Carrying responsibility heavier than briefcases.

He taught us that dignity does not disappear

Because life becomes difficult.

Rain fell.

Cars came and went.

Sacrifices were made in silence.

Yet he stood steady.

Provider without complaint.

Protector without applause.

Leader without noise.

The world may never write books about him,

But generations after him will carry his wisdom.

His love was not spoken loudly 

It was lived daily.

In school fees paid through sacrifice.

In late-night calls asking if we arrived safely.

In the quiet prayers only God heard.

And now I understand:

Success was never the car.

Success was the man holding the family together

Even when nobody noticed he was tired.

Dad,

You are the quiet proof

That greatness does not always announce itself.

Sometimes greatness looks like a faithful man

Who simply never stopped showing up.

*****

A Prayer For My Father

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for the gift of my father. Thank You for preserving his life through every season, every sacrifice, every burden he carried silently for his family. Thank You for the integrity, wisdom, discipline, love, and quiet strength You placed inside him.

Lord, honor him for every tear he never showed, every dream he sacrificed for us, every burden he carried so we could live better lives.

May his latter years be greater than his former years. Restore his strength, renew his health, and surround him with peace, joy, and fulfillment. Let him enjoy the fruits of the seeds he planted faithfully over the years.

Bless the work of his hands.

Bless his heart.

Bless his mind.

Bless his legacy.

May his children and grandchildren rise and call him blessed. May generations after him carry forward the values he lived by integrity, love, sacrifice, discipline, and faithfulness.

And Father, thank You that through him, we experienced a glimpse of Your own heart as our Heavenly Father.

May he continue to live long enough to enjoy love, laughter, peace, and the reward of a life well lived.

Amen.

********

MN Collective Insights Unfiltered 

Believe. Brand. Build 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5