Believe. Brand. Build to Scale. Africa Must Scale to Grow.

MN Collective

Believe. Brand. Build to Scale. Africa Must Grow.

“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with other people.”

That has always been one of my greatest mantras.

I do not believe in doing life alone. I believe in collaboration. I believe in building with people. I believe in combining skills, talents, networks, databases, ideas, and visions to create something bigger than one individual.

I know my capacity. I know what I am good at. And what I do not know, I believe someone else can do better. That is not weakness, that is wisdom. It reduces time wastage, enhances efficiency, creates excellence, and opens opportunities for others while I focus on what I do best.

Over the years, I have approached many people sharing my dreams, visions, and desires to build together, to put our heads together, our skills together, and scale together. Many did not agree. But I still believe collaboration is the future.

I believe in pouring into the world every bit of what God has placed in me while helping others rise at the same time.

Anyone whose hand I have held, mentored, nurtured, supported, or helped in my own small or big way, I always ask them for one thing:

“Please do the same for someone else.”

That is the promise I ask of them.

The same opportunity, belief, support, and value I saw in you, go and extend it to someone else.

Learn to think beyond yourself.

Imagine if every single one of us intentionally helped just one person grow, opened one opportunity for someone, supported one dream, or changed one life. How many people would be transformed today?

No wonder truly wealthy people never stop growing. The more they grow, the more people they empower, and the more those people go ahead to empower others directly or indirectly.

That is how ecosystems are built.

That is how nations grow.

That is how wealth multiplies.

Where I work or have worked , I always tell my team members and even other departments whenever I get the chance:

Your salary and income depend on how you show up.

Give your best.

Do your best.

Stop wasting time in cliques, gossip, and negativity about your employer.

There is nothing wrong with looking for better opportunities, but while you are where you are, honour the opportunity you currently have.

One of my strongest beliefs is:

“Work as unto God and not as unto man.”

The Bible says in Colossians:

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.”

Man may never see your efforts, but God sees quietly/ secretly and he rewards in public 

Sometimes opportunities come when you least expect them:

through a phone call, from a stranger, someone you know etc

Your name might just be dropped in powerful rooms without your knowledge

being headhunted,

meeting a destiny helper,

or through someone who simply noticed your consistency and excellence.

Life is fleeting. Do not waste it. Pursue excellence 👌 

I always tell my team members:

Treat your job like your own business.

The attitude you bring to work matters.

Would you run your own business carelessly?

Would you constantly arrive late?

Would you spend working hours applying for jobs?

Would you fail to show up because you were out partying the previous night?

Would you tolerate that behaviour from your own employee?

Then give your current work the same respect.

Work as unto God and not as unto man.

And I believe the same mindset should apply to businesses and life generally.

You grow faster together.

You scale faster collaboratively.

Delegate.

Trust people.

Allow others to contribute through their talents and skills.

I see many businesses struggling because founders want to be everything in the business.

The founder is the accountant.

The tailor.

The marketer.

The tax consultant.

The sourcing manager.

The delivery person. etc

I understand cutting costs, especially when starting. But eventually, for growth to happen, structure must come in.

Split responsibilities.

Build systems.

Share profits.

Open opportunities.

Do you think the big corporations we work for would survive without employees?

No.

They need people to survive too. Its a two way traffic. We all need each other. Even the Bible says two are better than one.

That is why good employers feel the loss of great employees even while encouraging growth and new opportunities. The best companies build systems to retain good people because they understand people are valuable assets.

And that is how even small businesses should think.

Think beyond yourself.

Scale beyond yourself.

Personally, I struggle doing everything alone. I have stalled, struggled to build, or  to grow. But I also realised something else:

finding people with the same mindset is not easy.

Today, Sunday 24th May during my writes am reminded and I finally understand why.

Mindsets are not built overnight.

****My mindset did not develop overnight. It has taken years of reading, observing, listening, studying successful people, and intentionally working on my thinking and perspective about life, business, wealth, leadership, and purpose.

But as I reflect deeper, I also have immense gratitude for my dad because part of this mindset was instilled in me from a very young age.

My dad bought me books to read while I was still in primary school. One of those books was Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Even though I was young then, some of the lessons remained with me over the years.

One of the biggest highlights from the book was understanding the difference between working hard for money and making money work for you. The book challenged traditional thinking about employment, wealth, assets, investments, financial intelligence, and entrepreneurship. It taught the importance of building assets, thinking long-term, investing early, and understanding that true wealth is built through systems, ownership, smart investments, and financial education not just salaries.

Looking back now, I realise many of those lessons slowly shaped how I think today.

Even during school years and later in my working life, my dad constantly encouraged me to think beyond employment alone. Till today he still sends me articles about working smart, investing wisely, planning early, and building sustainably. He shared that knowledge with me often.

I started reading and writing from a very young age, and now I realise maybe that culture of studying successful people, analysing patterns, and constantly wanting to understand wealth, leadership, systems, and growth partly came from him too.

My dad also had outstanding disciplines that quietly shaped me.

His integrity.

His leadership.

His desire to help people.

His discipline.

His presence.

Watching him serve as a leader in a government parastatal also exposed me to a certain world at a young age. Maybe it was the lifestyle. The official cars. The drivers. The trips. The titles. The power and responsibility that came with leadership.

Something about it triggered something in me.

Maybe some of it I was born with.

Maybe some of it was activated by exposure.

Maybe it was watching leadership closely through him.

And then there was my mum too, who was and still is an entrepreneur.

So when I look back today, I realise my mindset may have been quietly shaped by both worlds:

leadership and entrepreneurship,

structure and hustle,

service and ambition,

vision and survival.

Perhaps that is why I think the way I do today.

In addition my mindset has been transformed  by watching patterns, learning disciplines, following builders, creators, visionaries, and wealth creators like Aliko Dangote,  manu Chandaria Chris Kirubi among many others big and small founders, business owners and successful personalities in corporates. 

Not from envy.

But from learning.

Every single day I am still learning, growing, observing,, sacrificing and working on myself to become better and fulfil the higher purpose God placed me on this earth for.

Lately, I have also found myself deeply grateful for the global brand I currently work for. It is a great organisation, and I thank God for the opportunity constantly.

But one thing keeps challenging me deeply.

The founder of that company found his calling and obeyed it. Through obedience, he built something so impactful that today over 1.5 million people globally benefit directly or indirectly from that vision because it became a multinational company. It's the chain when you are obedient to your calling. The sippliers, staff, families immediate and extended, schools where our kids go because am earning an income the teachers and can be paid, mama mboga, burchery business, etc a chain of people benefit.

And sometimes I sit quietly and ask myself:

What if he ignored his calling?

What if he ignored the dreams God placed in him?

How many lives would not have been impacted today?

Then I ask myself another difficult question:

God has also given me dreams, desires, burdens, visions, and ideas that have followed me year after year and haunt me to date. 

How many people are waiting for me to finally build? be bold to obey? Act? Start?

How many opportunities are tied to my obedience?

How many lives are connected to the spaces, ideas, businesses, and ecosystems I am supposed to create?

I have started and tried?  Will keep trying?

Even as I continue giving my best to my employer, I still think about “my people.” Maybe not 1.5 million people. Maybe fewer. Maybe more. But there are lives tied to purpose and your obedience.

I remember once our pastor saying: Your greatest breakthrough is in your obedience. 

If every single one of us thought beyond ourselves, especially in Africa, this world would become a much better place.

Africa must grow.

Africa must scale.

Africa must think beyond survival, beyond inheritance, beyond immediate family alone.

The same company I work for also rewards loyalty by giving shares to employees over time. Even the founder reportedly believed no one in the company was better than another because every single person, regardless of position, contributes value.

And today I say the same to the world:

There is something special within you.

You are not where you are by mistake.

You carry value.

You carry purpose.

You carry solutions.

Never allow anyone to make you feel less important.

You never know who may help you grow, scale, or evolve if only you open yourself up to people and collaboration.

Stop only thinking about immediate profits, self-preservation, and survival.

There is more you can offer the world.

Even strangers.

Sometimes helping strangers is easier because there are no expectations attached. You simply help and move on.

Today this is my call to Africa:

Shift your mindset.

Grow.

Scale.

Collaborate.

Build.

I have spent years studying success and wealth, not from a place of envy but from a place of understanding. And today I understand why certain people grow, why some scale, and why some never stop evolving.

******

Today my son asked me:

“Mum, you came home late yesterday. Why haven’t you taken a nap to relax?”

And I told him:

“How do you afford to sleep when you are still broke, on survival mode, still carrying dreams, and still carrying people whose lives now and many one day be impacted by what God placed inside you?” How do you sleep when your provision is threatened? How do you sleep when am not able to take you for a Sunday outing? 

How do you sleep comfortably when you know there is more inside you waiting to be birthed?

How do I sleep and the world 🌎 doesn't know me yet? *** we laughed it off** he says who are you for the world to know you, **** My point exactly 💯      ******

Other than God, who else truly carries your responsibility?

I cannot afford to sleep on purpose.

Not until I crack it by Gods help and grace ofcourse. ON MY OWN I CANNOT. 

Not until I fully become who God called me to be.

And today I understand something:

Everything I have gone through has been preparation.

The struggles.

The delays.

The disappointments.

The lessons.

The environments.

The experiences. Etc

They are all preparing me for greater purpose, greater alignment, and greater impact.

I have heard many entrepreneurs say:

“Just start. Keep showing up every day. One day the journey will make sense.”

And today many of them are living the very dreams they once only imagined.

So as I intentionally continue this journey of purpose, I now understand:

It is still a journey. I embrace  the journey fully.

And this…derives my point of view (POV) on Africa from a mindset shift.

*********

Africa does not lack hardworking people. Africa lacks systems, collaboration, scaling mindsets, and structured growth.

Growing up and even today driving around estates, towns, and  seeing cities across Africa, I always wonder: why are so many people doing the exact same small business next to each other? Tailors beside tailors. Shoe repair beside shoe repair. Mama mbogas at every corner. Hawkers everywhere selling the same thing.

And I ask myself:

Do they all have clients?

Are they really making profits?

Why after years are many still operating at the exact same level?

The answer is mindset.

We have built economies around “me, mine, and my family.” An individual mindset. A survival mindset. A scarcity mindset. A poor mindset.

That is why many African businesses struggle to scale.

Meanwhile, the world’s biggest companies, including unicorn companies, are built differently. They are built around systems, structure, collaboration, delegation, and scalability.

A unicorn company is a startup valued at over $1 billion. Africa currently has about 9 confirmed unicorn companies, while Europe has hundreds across different industries. 

Africa represents nearly 18% of the world’s population yet accounts for less than 1% of global unicorn companies. 

That gap is not because Africans are not intelligent or hardworking. It is because many of our businesses are built to survive, not to scale.

We think individually instead of collectively.

Imagine if all the mama mbogas in one area came together under one structured system. A central organised market. Proper storage. Proper branding. Better sourcing from farmers. Digital payments. Shared logistics. Shared marketing. Proper management.

Instead of everyone struggling alone daily, they would become part of a bigger ecosystem that works for all.

The same applies to tailors, thrift sellers, hawkers, salons, farmers, artisans etc.

Scaling happens through systems.

This is why banks, SACCOs work. They pool resources together under structured systems that benefit members collectively. This is why management companies work globally.

I have worked in organisations where the owners of hotels are completely different from the companies managing them. The management companies bring in experts across operations, marketing, finance, strategy, customer experience, and growth. The owners invest in the asset, while professionals scale the business.

That is working smart.

Big companies become big because founders understand one thing: you cannot grow alone. It doesn't matter whether you are small or big business you can't scale alone.

They hire experts.

They delegate.

They create structures.

They allow people to run with ideas.

They build systems that can function beyond them.

That is scaling.

In Africa many people still operate from a mindset of control, fear, and individualism. We hold onto information. We fear collaboration. We fear structures. We fear letting go. Yet growth demands systems bigger than ourselves. We are competitive or is it  jealous of each other?.

Education is also a major gap.

And not just school education.

Africa needs practical education that teaches people how to:

build systems,

structure businesses,

brand properly,

collaborate,

package ideas,

scale businesses,

create value beyond survival.

Because many education systems still prepare people to create small businesses for survival instead of scalable businesses that create industries, employment, and ecosystems.

I recently listened to Dangote speak about Africa’s future and he mentioned agriculture as one of the next frontiers of opportunity, but also emphasised the urgent need for education to empower people. Education for school is good but there is need for education to empower.

And he is right.

Africa does not only need hardworking people.

Africa needs transformed thinking.

We need mindset shifts from:

survival to scale,

competition to collaboration,

individualism to ecosystems,

small thinking to structured growth.

Because scaling changes everything.

It improves cities.

It creates cleaner environments.

It creates employment.

It creates wealth circulation.

It attracts investment.

It builds industries.

It creates sustainability.

Most importantly, it creates opportunities beyond one individual.

That is where MN Collective comes in.

MN Collective exists to help people BELIEVE  bigger, BUILD intentionally, package and BRAND themselves properly, and create structures that allow their businesses and ideas to scale.

Because growth starts in the mind first.

Africa must stop settling for mediocrity.

Africa must stop glorifying struggle.

Africa must embrace systems, structure, collaboration, education, and scale.

The future of Africa will not be built by isolated individuals struggling alone.

It will be built by people willing to think beyond themselves and build ecosystems that work for generations.

MN Collective Insights Unfiltered 

Believe. Brand. Build to Scale.

Africa Must Scale to Grow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5