Why We Must Build Beyond Ourselves
As I sit in my cosy office today one I truly thank God for I am reminded of how far life can take us when we trust His timing. Earlier today, I came across a video of a woman celebrating six months after boldly quitting her job of 12 years. Her story stirred something deep within me not just admiration for her courage, but reflection, because I have walked a similar path.
I know what a toxic work environment feels like. I have lived it. I remember signing a contract and knowing, deep within, what I was stepping into. But I also knew something else my season in my previous role had come to an end. After eight years of growth, achievement, and contribution, I had reached a point of stagnation, especially financially and professionally. And when a season ends, it is rarely about comfort, brands, or even money it is about obedience.
So, I took the leap.
Against advice, against logic, and against the fear of the unknown, I stepped into a role that many did not understand a role to position a non-existent brand in Kenya. It looked risky. It looked unconventional. But for me, it was divine. I have always been faith-led, and every step I take is guided by something bigger than titles or perceptions.
Sometimes, life will call you into spaces that don’t make sense to others but make perfect sense to God.
That decision changed me.
I gave myself one year in that role personally and professionally. Personally, I achieved a goal that had sat on my vision board for years, something I had not accomplished in over 15 years of working. In just one year, it happened. Professionally, I left a mark gave my best shot. Believed, I positioned that brand and proved what was possible.
That’s when I understood something powerful: no opportunity, whether good or difficult, is ever wasted. Even in what felt like a difficult year, there was transformation happening in equal measure.
We either grow, learn, or transform.
Today, I find myself in a place of gratitude but also in a place of burden.
Because every day, I receive calls. Messages. People young and old looking for opportunities. Just yesterday, Tuesday, April 28, a woman who had worked for 15 years, around my age or slightly older, reached out after leaving a toxic job. She was simply looking for a chance to start again for a better employer, for an opportunity. And she is not alone.
There are so many.
Every day, you receive resumes, calls, referrals people who are skilled, capable, and full of potential. You encourage them, tell them you will keep them in mind, forward their CVs, make calls… and sometimes, nothing comes through.
And it hurts especially when you genuinely feel someone deserves an immediate opportunity.
Because while I am grateful for where I am, I am also aware that many are still searching for what I have been blessed to receive. The truth is, most of us who are employed are just getting by. What we earn sustains us it is not always enough to sustain others daily. And while giving is important, I have learned that handouts are not the solution.
If I give you today, you may still need tomorrow.
But if I help create an opportunity, I change your tomorrow.
I have been at rock bottom. I have known what it feels like to lack even the simplest things. I remember a time, with a breastfeeding child, when all we had was plain rice no oil, no accompaniment just water. So when someone reaches out and says, “Anything will help,” I understand. Deeply.
And when I can, I give.
But more than that, I ask myself daily: What more can I do?
How do I move from helping individuals… to building platforms that help many over time? How do I create something that enables others to earn, to feed their families, to pay school fees, to live with dignity?
That is my current dilemma.
Because the truth is, I am not yet where I want to be in terms of capacity. But I carry a dream a vision of creating something bigger than myself. Something that offers opportunities. Something that creates dignity through work. Something that becomes an answer to many prayers.
And maybe that’s where many of us are.
Not yet there but aware that we are called to more.
The Bible reminds us in Ecclesiastes 3:1, “To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.” We must learn to recognize when seasons shift and have the courage to move when they do.
In Jeremiah 29:11, we are reassured: “For I know the plans I have for you… plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Even when the path looks uncertain, God’s intention is always purposeful.
And in Luke 16:10, we are reminded: “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much.” What we do with the little we have now matters.
That’s why, for now, we keep showing up.
We give our best where we are planted. We serve with excellence. We contribute with purpose—not just for our employers, but for God’s glory.
Because even in employment, we are in preparation.
Preparation to build.
Preparation to lead.
Preparation to create opportunities for others.
I once read about a billionaire who chose not to give handouts to those who came to him for help. Instead, he built an airline creating jobs, creating livelihoods, creating dignity. That is the mindset we must begin to adopt.
Think beyond yourself.
Beyond your family.
Beyond survival.
Build for impact.
Because the truth is, someone out there is waiting for the opportunity that will come through you.
Your idea.
Your business.
Your dream.
It is not just about you.
There are people whose prayers are tied to your obedience.
But remember you cannot pour from an empty cup. So build yourself. Strengthen yourself. Grow. And when your time comes, step into it boldly.
Not everyone has the courage or the support to walk away and start over. Not everyone can take that leap today. And that’s okay.
But when your time comes be ready.
Because what you make happen for others, God will make happen for you.
So dream bigger.
Build differently.
And trust that every step, every season, every challenge… is preparing you to become a blessing not just to yourself, but to many.
And when that time comes don’t hold back. Faith, Relentless pursuit and always want better for self.
The world is waiting.
MN COLLECTIVE INSIGHTS UNFILTERED
BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD
Comments
Post a Comment