Building Beyond Ourselves

As I sit in my cosy office today one I truly thank God for I am reminded of how far life can take us when we trust His timing. Earlier today, I came across a video of a woman celebrating six months after boldly quitting her job of 12 years. Her story stirred something deep within me not just admiration for her courage, but reflection, because I have walked a similar path.

I know what a toxic work environment feels like. I have lived it. I remember signing a contract and knowing, deep within, what I was stepping into. But I also knew something else my season in my previous role had come to an end. After eight years of growth, achievement, and contribution, I had reached a point of stagnation, especially financially and professionally. And when a season ends, it is rarely about comfort, brands, or even money it is about obedience.Growth and change when it comes is inevitable.

So, I took the leap.

Against advice, against logic, and against the fear of the unknown, I stepped into a role that many did not understand a role to position a non-existent brand in Kenya. It looked risky. It looked unconventional. But for me, it was divine.

Sometimes, life will call you into spaces that don’t make sense to others—but make perfect sense to God.

That decision changed me.

I gave myself one year in that role personally and professionally. Personally, I achieved a goal that had sat on my vision board for years, something I had not accomplished in over 15 years of working. In just one year, it happened. Professionally, I believe I left a mark I positioned the brand and gave my best shot. proved what was possible for me. I remember a colleague affirming that mentioend you made us know the brand . Another you have really made that brand look good. 👌 I had learnt some life hard lessons 

That’s when I understood something powerful: no opportunity, whether good or difficult, is ever wasted.

We either grow, learn, or transform.

Today, I find myself in a place of gratitude but also in a place of burden.

Because every day, I receive calls. Messages. People young and old looking for opportunities.

And the reality is this, Kenya and Africa is sitting on a growing unemployment crisis.

As of recent labour data, the overall unemployment rate is estimated at around 12–13%, showing how difficult it is to create enough jobs for a growing population. The government has also tried by providing jobs through the affordable housing project a good move but whats the suistantanibility?

But the deeper crisis is among the youth.

Young people aged 15–34 make up about 35% of Kenya’s population, yet they face unemployment levels as high as 67% meaning nearly two out of every three young Kenyans are either jobless, underemployed, or stuck in survival mode.

Every year, over one million young people enter the job market, many without opportunities waiting for them.

This is not just a statistic.
This is real people.
Real families.
Real pressure.

So when someone calls you asking for an opportunity, it is not casual, it is urgent.

Tuesday April 28, a woman who had worked for 15 years reached out after leaving a toxic job, hoping for a chance to start again. And she is not alone.

There are so many.

Every day, you receive resumes, calls, referrals people who are skilled, capable, and ready. You encourage them, you forward their CVs, you make calls… and sometimes nothing comes through.

And it hurts especially when you know they deserve better.

Because while I am grateful for where I am, I am also aware that many are still searching for what I have been blessed to receive.

The truth is, most of us who are employed are just getting by. What we earn sustains us it is not always enough to sustain others daily. And while giving is important, I have learned that handouts are not the solution.

If I give you today, you may still need tomorrow.

But if I help create an opportunity, I change your tomorrow.

I have been at rock bottom. I know what it feels like to lack even the simplest things. So when someone says, “Anything will help,” I understand deeply.

And when I can, I give. 

But more than that, I ask myself daily.
What more can I do?

How do I move from helping individuals… to building platforms that help many over time?

That is my current dilemma.

Because the truth is, I am not yet where I want to be in terms of capacity. But I carry a dream a vision of creating something bigger than myself. Something that offers opportunities. Something that creates dignity through work.

And maybe that’s where many of us are.

Not yet there but aware that we are called to MORE. Create. Build for others.

The Bible reminds us in Ecclesiastes 3:1, “To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.”

In Jeremiah 29:11, we are reassured that God’s plans are always purposeful.

And in Luke 16:10, we are reminded that how we handle the little we have now matters.

So for now, we keep showing up.

We give our best where we are planted. We serve with excellence. We contribute with purpose not just for our employers, but for God’s glory.

Because even in employment, we are in preparation.

Preparation to build.
Preparation to lead.
Preparation to create opportunities for others.

Because Kenya and Africa does not just need jobs.
It needs builders.
It needs creators.

It needs mindset change 
It needs people willing to think beyond themselves.

Think beyond survival.
Think beyond your circle.
Think beyond today.

Because someone out there is waiting for the opportunity that will come through you.

Your idea.
Your business.
Your dream.

There are people whose prayers are tied to your obedience.

But remember you cannot pour from an empty cup. So build yourself. Strengthen yourself. Grow and Scale.

And when your time comes be ready.

Because what you make happen for others, God will make happen for you.

So dream bigger.
Build differently.
And trust that every step, every season, every challenge… is preparing you to become a blessing not just to yourself, but to many.

And when that time comes don’t hold back.

The world is waiting.

To be continued....

MN COLLECTIVE INSIGHTS UNFILTERED
BELIEVE. BRAND. BUILD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Wiping Tables At Burger King to Overseeing Marketing for Three Hotels on the Kenyan Coast.

How would people describe you in two, three, four, or five words?

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this.” > — Psalm 37:5